Home   Dartford   News   Article

Khalid Masood was lawfully killed following Westminster attacks last year

By Amy Nickalls

Khalid Masood was lawfully killed after he murdered four pedestrians and a police officer last year.

The 52-year-old's inquest started at the Old Bailey on Thursday, October 4.

Masood, born in Dartford, was the man behind the Westminster attacks on March 22 last year.

Paramedics on the scene outside the Houses of Parliament where an incident is unfolding, March 22 2107. Credit: SWNS. (4767062)
Paramedics on the scene outside the Houses of Parliament where an incident is unfolding, March 22 2107. Credit: SWNS. (4767062)

He drove into and killed four people on Westminster bridge bridge before getting out and stabbing PC Keith Palmer.

Masood, named Adrian Elms at birth, was then shot by an armed officer and died at the scene.

Khalid Masood, the Kent-born terrorist responsible for the Westminster attack. FM4719084 (4767065)
Khalid Masood, the Kent-born terrorist responsible for the Westminster attack. FM4719084 (4767065)

Today, the jury at the inquest decided he was killed lawfully.

PC Nick Carlisle was guarding the gates at the time he attacked PC Palmer. He said: "He caught Keith Palmer and was driving him back. His arms were up stabbing out, I couldn’t see the knives in his hands but it was clear he was stabbing with the knives. Keith had his hands up."

Yesterday, a close protection officer who fired three shots at Masood while he brandished a knife covered in blood gave his testimony.

Following the verdict, comissioner Cressida Dick said:“I welcome the Inquest conclusion that our officers acted lawfully in shooting a terrorist and murderer. Their bravery and quick thinking stopped his lethal rampage, which had already taken the lives of five innocent people and devastated so many more as a result.

“The professionalism, bravery and compassion shown by the plain clothed officers in stopping a terrorist and then immediately trying to save his life are in the best traditions of policing. They, and so many other Met officers that terrible day, did an incredible job responding in very difficult circumstances.

“The Inquest heard evidence of the courageous intervention of PC Nick Carlisle during the attack and the Chief Coroner also recognised and thanked the quality of the police investigation in the weeks and months that followed.

“My thoughts have been with all those affected throughout these inquests, in particular the families of those who were murdered, those who were injured, and of course, the family and friends of PC Keith Palmer who died in the line of duty courageously protecting Parliament.

“We have already fully accepted the Chief Coroner’s findings of shortcomings in the security system at New Palace Yard in March 2017. We have made substantial improvements since the attack. Once we receive the detailed findings from the Chief Coroner we will respond to any recommendations that are made.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More