Home   Dartford   Sport   Article

Woking 1 Dartford 1 match report

Dartford were denied their first win of the season on Tuesday night when Woking struck deep in stoppage-time at Kingfield.

Tony Burman’s men led through a Rory McAuley header and there were just two minutes left when Giuseppe Sole headed past goalkeeper Jason Brown to rescue a point for the Cards.

Burman said: "We were all really gutted after the game because we’d done so well.

Dartford manager Tony Burman Picture: Richard Eaton
Dartford manager Tony Burman Picture: Richard Eaton

"It was an opportunity to get three points, because we’d led for so long.

"I would have accepted one point before the game but it was a difficult pill to swallow."

Woking put the Darts under early pressure, almost scoring inside five minutes when a corner led to an almighty scramble in the box.

Kieran Murtagh then drilled a shot wide before Brown got behind Scott Rendell’s drive from 30 yards out. Another effort from John Goddard flew past the post and Brown was called into action again to thwart Dean Morgan.

But the visitors might have taken the lead late in the first half on the counter-attack. Tom Bradbrook tried his luck from 25 yards but Woking keeper Aaron Howe was equal to his effort.

Two minutes after half-time, though, Burman’s side hit the front. Peter Sweeney, making his full debut, swung over a corner which McAuley headed into the net for his second goal in Dartford colours.

Woking went back on the attack in search of an equaliser. Josh Payne’s free-kick flashed through the box and Mat Mitchel-King then had to deal with another dangerous delivery into the Darts area.

Adam Newton set up Joey Jones for a strike which flew just wide and Payne went equally close with a curling free-kick from 25 yards.

But the Dartford resistance was finally broken by Sole in the 93rd minute.

More reaction in Thursday's Dartford Messenger.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More