Home   Dartford   Sport   Article

Cray Valley 3 Abbey Rangers 1 match report

By Matthew Panting

Cray Valley advanced to the last eight of the FA Vase after coming from behind to defeat Abbey Rangers on Saturday.

The hosts trailed inside four minutes to their Combined Counties League opponents but were ahead by half-time and never looked in trouble after the break.

Sitting fourth in Southern Counties East Premier Division, Cray went into the game having not conceded a goal in their last four games.

Cray's Denzel Gayle is challenged by Abbey Rangers. Picture: Dave Budden
Cray's Denzel Gayle is challenged by Abbey Rangers. Picture: Dave Budden

So it was a surprise to see them behind so early. Rangers started brightly and deserved their advantage, however, as Alex Hendrie’s delightful right-wing cross was expertly headed in at the far post by Danny Hartlebury.

Cray put their nervy start behind them, levelling the scores thanks to a big slice of fortune on 15 minutes. An attempted defensive clearance hit an Abbey defender before the ball somehow looped over keeper Liam Stone via Cray’s Denzel Gayle.

In contrast, Cray went ahead on the stroke of half-time thanks to a moment of brilliance. Gavin Tomlin, who only joined from National League South Dulwich last month, produced a stunning chip over Stone from just inside the area to make it 2-1.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men just seven minutes into the second half when Kevin Lisbie sent Anthony Edgar clean through and he was fouled just outside the area by Robbie Kersley. Referee Matthew Russell promptly produced the red card.

Joe Macklin was cautioned for a lunge at substitute Francis Babalola, whose pace and direct running caused problems for the Abbey defence.

Lisbie sent an overhead kick against the crossbar after a corner was headed back across goal.

Despite being down to 10 men, Abbey kept pushing forward but Hendrie’s header eight minutes from time was straight at keeper Andy Walker.

Cray Valley celebrate their third goal late on against Abbey Rangers. Picture: Dave Budden
Cray Valley celebrate their third goal late on against Abbey Rangers. Picture: Dave Budden

Cray always looked likely on the counter, playing down the slope, and so it proved two minutes from the end as they wrapped up a deserved victory.

Left-back Danny Smith worked his way into the penalty area before teeing up Babalola, who fired against the crossbar. Fortunately, Gayle retrieved the ball and crossed for Babalola to make no mistake at the near post second time around.

The final scoreline could have been more as Lisbie and Babalola both wasted late openings.

Cray are joined in the last eight by fellow Southern Counties East League side Canterbury, who defeated Leicester Nirvana 2-1 at Salters Lane.

Cray: Walker, Potter, Smith, Semakula, Sains, Tumkaya, Gayle, Edgar (James 83mins), Tomlin (Babalola 57mins), Lisbie, Flack. Subs not used: Willock, Myers, Osborne.

Attendance: 217.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More