Home   Dartford   Sport   Article

Dartford 3 Eastbourne Borough 1 match report: Jake Robinson scores twice

More news, no ads


Dartford sit alone at the top of National League South after posting their fourth straight win on Monday.

The Darts turned on the style in the first half as they beat Eastbourne at Princes Park, striker Jake Robinson bagging a first-half brace

Dartford boss Steve King. Picture: Keith Gillard
Dartford boss Steve King. Picture: Keith Gillard

Darts created their first chance inside two minutes. Connor Essam, one of four changes, headed back a Jack Jebb corner and Tom Bonner's goalbound effort was turned behind for another corner.

The opener arrived in the seventh minute, a deep free-kick was again headed back across the danger area and strikers like Robinson don't miss out on loose balls so close to goal, slamming it into the roof of the net.

Noor Husin pulled the strings again from midfield, his 30-yard right-foot shot came back off the post as those in the box expected a cross.

George Porter was next to hit the woodwork on 16 minutes as the chances continued to flow, another opportunity after Essam kept the ball alive.

Luke Wanadio was always a threat down the right wing and keeper Curtis Anderson had to beat away his near-post shot as it was all one-way traffic.

Darts had a swagger about them in attack, and their fluid one or two touch pass and move style had Eastbourne chasing shadows.

It led to the second goal on 26 minutes, five or six players all had one touch to leave the visitors in a spin and Porter's flick was handled in the box to leave referee Isaac Searle no choice but to point to the spot. Robinson went to the keeper's right to double their advantage.

The only surprise at the break was that Dartford's dominance had only seen them score twice.

Any thoughts the second half would be the same story vanished in the first 10 seconds.

Essam got the ball stuck under his feet and his intended back pass was woefully short, leaving Greg Luer one on one with keeper Dan Wilks. The striker put the Darts keeper on his backside before slotting beyond the retreating Tom Bonner on the line.

Darts should have restored their two-goal advantage five minutes into the second half. Robinson's deft touch and pace left former Gillingham centre-back Dickenson trailing behind him and his right-wing cross was blazed over by Hyde.

There was some panic at times in the Darts defence as Eastbourne were much improved in the second half. Dartford didn't keep the ball as well but the visitors looked more like the side that has impressed at this level in recent seasons.

Darts had their chances - Jebb and substitute Dan Roberts both failing to convert - but the game was wrapped up seven minutes from time.

Keeper Anderson's throw was intercepted by substitute Luke Allen, who fed Roberts and his deep left-foot cross was headed in at the far post by another replacement, Ade Azeez.

Dartford nearly added a late fourth when Roberts exchanged passes with Azeez but the former's low shot was blocked.

Dartford: Wilks, Wynter, Essam, Bonner, Meade, Wanadio, Husin, Hyde (Allen 76mins), Jebb, Porter (Roberts 56mins), Robinson (Azeez 66mins). Subs not used: Hill, Graham.

Eastbourne: Anderson, Beresford, Elliott, Dickenson, Aidoo (Oyinsan 85mins), Whelpdale, Towning, Hammond, Rollinson (Hutchnson 69mins), Walker (Grauata 61mins), Luer. Subs not used: James, Shaun.

Referee: Isaac Searle.

Attendance: 1,193.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More