Home   Deal   Sport   Article

Deal Town boss Derek Hares chomping at the bit to respond to FA Cup defeat to Sutton Athletic

Deal Town manager Derek Hares cannot wait for the next game as his side look to react to Saturday’s 3-2 FA Cup defeat to Sutton Athletic.

The Hoops were knocked out by a Luke Bigginton own goal in injury time after Deal thought they had earned a replay with Sam Wilson’s late equaliser to make it 2-2.

Hares’ men remain winless over their first three games of the season across all competitions as they prepare to face Glebe in Southern Counties East on Saturday.

Deal boss Derek Hares. Picture: Alan Langley
Deal boss Derek Hares. Picture: Alan Langley

He said: “I wish we had a game tomorrow to be honest, as soon as you get a defeat you want to get back on the pitch.

“It’s a massive game, I think they (Glebe) will be up there this season, we knew we’d have a tough start.

“Connor Coyne and Ben Cardwell will both be available after missing Saturday.

“Kane Smith came off with an ankle injury at the weekend so he’s 50/50 and Alfie Foster is back from suspension.”

Hares is hoping Saturday’s cup exit proves a wake-up call having been left unimpressed with his team’s performance at the London Hire Stadium,

He added: “It was very disappointing, I didn’t think we played very well. The conditions were terrible, but fair play to them (Sutton) at the end.

“That’s two defeats on the trot but two completely different defeats.

“At Chatham (where Deal lost 4-1) we played well and conceded goals at the wrong time, but Saturday I didn’t think we were at the races.

“They adjusted to the conditions better than us, we didn’t look ourselves.

Deal Town's Connor Coyne. Picture: Alan Langley
Deal Town's Connor Coyne. Picture: Alan Langley

“The only time we did was 15 minutes before half-time when we scored.

“We definitely should have had one penalty when Ben Chapman went to shoot and had his feet taken away, and then right on half-time their guy handballed it and the referee didn’t give a penalty.

“We went in 1-1 and I suppose just about deserved it, then second half we were going against the wind and went 2-1 down.

“We looked like we were out of it and then got an equaliser in what must have been the last minute, then they got a corner, we switched off and it’s gone in as an own-goal. It summed the day up.

“We didn’t pass the ball well enough, we just didn’t create enough really, particularly with the wind, it was one of those games where you had to take advantage of it.

“Too many players weren’t on their game, it wasn’t for a lack of effort though.”

Read more: All the latest Kent sport news

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More