Home   Dover   News   Article

Dover cemetery murder investigation: Victim pictured and GoFundMe page set up

The victim of a suspected graveyard murder has been pictured for the first time.

Piotr Lacheta, 55, who was found dead at the town's Cowgate Cemetery on October 1.

Piotr Lacheta. Picture: GoFundMe
Piotr Lacheta. Picture: GoFundMe

Two people have appeared in court accused of his murder.

Now a friend of his has described him as a happy and selfless person, even when he had problems.

Marcin Pawlak knew him as a fellow member of the Polish community in Dover.

He told KentOnline: "He was always happy, always laughing even when he had bad times in his life.

"He was a really good bloke."

There was a heavy police presence in the hours after Mr Lacheta's body was found in the cemetery
There was a heavy police presence in the hours after Mr Lacheta's body was found in the cemetery

Mr Pawlak has also described him as a "brilliant person" who was "always helping others despite not having much himself."

Piotr Lacheta was born in Krakow and came to the UK a decade ago, moving straight to Dover.

Mr Pawlak said: "I met him about eight or nine years ago and I believe he came here because he wanted a better life."

Mr Lacheta was previously married and had a girlfriend at the time of his death.

He has surviving family in Poland including a mother and brother.

Cowgate Cemetery was closed for days as policed search for clues
Cowgate Cemetery was closed for days as policed search for clues

Mr Pawlak has set up a crowdfunding page to help pay to repatriate his friend's body to Poland for his funeral.

He wrote: "His mother would love to bring her son's body home, to Poland. Lay him down next to his father in a family grave.

"Unfortunately, she is not able to cover the cost herself.

" Although she is a very strong woman, in the last few days she suffered a lot.

"She never thoughtthat she would have to say goodbye to her own child.

"Please, let's help his family to organize his last trip and funeral at home."

An inquest on Monday was told that, according to a post mortem examination, Mr Lacheta died from blunt force trauma to his head, face and neck.

Two people have been charged with his murder.

Hearings for the case took place at Maidstone Crown Court on Tuesday and Margate Magistrates' Court last Friday.

The trial of Justin Burnett, 37, and Claire Lunn, 47, is expected to begin next spring.

The GoFundMe page by today raised £250 out of a £2,500 target.

If you want to contribute click here.

Read more: All the latest news from Dover


More by this author


Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More