Home   Dover   News   Article

Hero dad Artan Frroku saves wife and child from fire in Upper Road, Dover

A heroic dad has explained how he saved his wife and son from a fire.

Artan Frroku and his family were trapped in their flat in Dover by the blaze.

Artan Frroku with his wife Iolande Frashnaj and son Daniel
Artan Frroku with his wife Iolande Frashnaj and son Daniel

He jumped from a first floor window, breaking his ankle, but still scrambled up a ladder to bring down the three-year-old.

His wife escaped by climbing down that ladder.

He told KentOnline: "I didn't think of anything but saving my son and wife. I didn't think about the danger."

Firefighters were called to the blaze just before 11.15pm on Monday last week.

It started in the ground floor of a set of flats at Upper Road.

Artan Frroku jumped from the top left window
Artan Frroku jumped from the top left window

One man has been arrested on suspicion of arson.

Mr Frroku, 44, said: "My wife heard the noise of people shouting and smoke was coming from the corridor.

"A man opened the main door for us to get outside and as soon as she did there was thick smoke and heat coming straight to our faces.

"There was no way to get out through that door.

"The only way was to go through the window. I droppeddown from there, you never know what's going to happen with a fire.

"I didn't think about anything else but to get us out. It was unreal."

Mr Frroku broke his right ankle when he landed but neighbours passed him a ladder and adrenaline made him climb up and receive his son, Daniel Frroku passed down by his wife, Iolande Frashnaj, 34.

He carried Daniel and she followed down.

The emergency services were called by neighbour David Hartfield, who lives in a ground floor flat directly below the family.

He said: "I first smelt the burning and smoke. I couldn't get out of my front door because the smoke and heat were so intense and I had to climb out of my front window. Everything was mayhem.

"But we all came together as a community in this, and looked after each other."

Mr Frokku was taken to hospital for his injury.

Mrs Frashnaj and Daniel were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and Mr Hartfield was completely unharmed.

Both the family, including Daniel who turned four on Sunday, and Mr Hartfield are now in a hotel in Dover, as emergency accommodation.

Mr Frokku, says he will not move back to Upper Road but because of his job, as a steward for P&O Ferries, will seek permanent accommodation elsewhere in Dover.

David Hartfield, left, and Artan Frroku
David Hartfield, left, and Artan Frroku

He does not know when he can go back to work.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: "Two fire engines were sent to the scene and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze."

Crews finished just before 12.40am.

A police spokesman said: "The cause of the fire is believed to be suspicious and a 65-year-old man from Dover was arrested on suspicion of arson.

"He has since been released, pending further enquiries."

An ambulance service spokesman said: "We sent an ambulance and our HART (Hazardous Area Response Team of four vehicles) to a fire in Upper Road, Dover.

"A man who had jumped from a window was taken to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford with a leg injury for further treatment.

"A woman and child were assessed on scene but not taken to hospital."

Read more: All the latest news from Dover

Read more

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More