Home   Dover   News   Article

Dog 'poisoned' by ham in Connaught Park in Dover

By Charlie Harman

A rare breed dog was rendered immobile after eating what its owner believes was poisoned meat.

On New Years Eve, Damien Hickie was walking Tyler - his Cesky Terrier - through Connaught Park in Dover when he sniffed out diced ham scattered around bins and under trees.

Mr Hickie said: “I don’t normally take him to Connaught Park, and it’s a dog-friendly one so I'd let him off the lead.

Cesky Terriers like Tyler are known for the long tuft of hair on their forehead
Cesky Terriers like Tyler are known for the long tuft of hair on their forehead

"I noticed he was hovering around a tree and I saw that there was ham on the ground around it.

“I thought that it was strange that it was around a tree and a bin, two of the places where dogs go most often. It just didn’t seem right.”

Before the Gopak Ltd operations director could take him away from the meat, Tyler had eaten a couple of pieces. Within two hours, the dog fell seriously ill and he was taken into emergency care at the Barton Veterinary Hospital.

The dog’s owner said: “He was vomiting quite severely and his limbs had locked up. He was completely lifeless.

“The vets gave him some anti-vomiting medicine which worked for a time, but he went downhill the next day and has been put on a drip.

“I reported it to the RSPCA and they felt it was a bit strange as ham wouldn’t normally cause any problems by itself. The only thing they could think of was it being laced with poison or contaminated in some way.”

Tyler the Cesky Terrier was unable to move when the illness set in
Tyler the Cesky Terrier was unable to move when the illness set in

The five-year-old former show dog is now recovering at his Minerva Way home, and is expected to return to full health soon.

The incident has cost Mr Hickie more than £700, and he has vowed never to return to the site of the incident.

He said: “I know of similar incidents that have happened across Kent and I just want to make people aware. People should be vigilant and not let their dog out of sight.

“Also, if a young child had been playing in the park then they could have picked up a piece of the meat and been seriously harmed.”

An RSPCA spokesman said: “While we do not know if this was an accidental or deliberate incident, it is concerning to hear that a dog has become sick after ingesting something in a park.

“We would urge pet owners in the area to be vigilant at all times and be on the lookout for anything suspicious. We would urge anyone who has any information to contact us on the RSPCA cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More