Published: 20:05, 12 July 2020
| Updated: 20:08, 12 July 2020
A shed burst into flames sparking firefighters to warn homeowners about disposing of hot coals.
The large shed was well alight when crews arrived at the home in Stonehall Road in Lydden near Dover.
It is thought the cause of the blaze was the result of hot coals from a previous fire being stored too close to the shed and setting the structure alight.
Firefighters were called at 12.50pm and spend about half an hour at the scene using a hose reel jet of water to extinguish the fire.
No injuries were reported and the cause is believed to be accidental.
But the fire service has now issued advice to anyone planning on having a barbecue, bonfire or fire pit in their gardens during the summer.
Residents are asked to ensure the fire is fully extinguished when no longer using it and to never leave it unattended.
Making sure the coals and embers are fully put out reduces the risk of fire causing damage to any neighbouring property.
Dousing the coals with water until they are fully out before leaving them to cool is the best way to make sure the coals are extinguished before they are disposed of.
Hot coals should never be placed in a plastic bin.
Disposal barbecues must be fully extinguished and never buried under the sand on the beach.
More by this authorMatt Leclere
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)