Published: 15:16, 30 June 2020
| Updated: 16:27, 30 June 2020
The trial of a former MP accused of sexual assault will begin next week and could last up to three weeks.
Charlie Elphicke, who represented the constituency of Dover from 2010 to 2019, denies all three allegations made against him.
They involve one on a woman in 2007 and two on a second alleged victim in 2016.
The case will be heard at Southwark Crown Court from Monday and is set to last two to three weeks. A pre-trial review will take place on Thursday.
Natalie Dawson, prosecuting, said at that hearing that in two cases the women were sitting and having a glass of wine when they alleged that Elphicke kissed and groped them.
The court had heard a few days later one of the women complained the MP had groped her in his car.
Mark Halsam, defending had said
the matter had been under investigation for a "significant" period of time and Elphicke "totally and utterly" denied the allegations.
He added that Elphicke had been open with the police investigation throughout.
The 49-year-old married father-of-two was suspended as a Lord Commissioner of the Treasury - also known as a government whip - on November 3, 2017, after the allegations were made to police.
But, on December 12, 2018, the Conservative whip was reinstated before a confidence vote in Theresa May before, once again, being withdrawn in July when he was charged.
More by this authorEleanor Perkins
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)