Published: 00:00, 08 January 2015
It has been a long road back into the Dover line-up for Sean Raggett.
And the young centre half has no intention of giving up his place – he’d even play in midfield if he has to – something he did in the FA Cup defeat against Crystal Palace on Sunday.
Raggett, 20, said: “Some people said they felt sad for me when we changed our formation against Crystal Palace so early in the game.
“But we had to really – there was no point having three of us mark just one player.
“Besides, I relished the challenge of playing against internationals like Joe Ledley and Barry Bannan. That was an unreal experience for someone as young as myself. I was buzzing out there and thought I did all right.
“I would be happy to keep playing there if the gaffer wants me to.”
The FA Cup tie was Raggett’s fourth consecutive start in it what he admits has been a frustrating season for him.
He played in the first three games of the Vanarama Conference season before getting sent-off in the fourth against Eastleigh at Crabble on August 23.
After serving a three-match ban, he did not make another start in the league until the 2-2 draw against Torquay at Crabble on December 2.
The 6ft 5in Raggett said he was now keen to make up for lost time.
He said: “When I was suspended, the club brought in extra defenders and they’ve all played well.
“It’s been so hard to keep battling away at training hoping the gaffer gives me a go.
“Now he has and there is no way I am going give it up. When you are part of a successful squad, and we are, you’ve got make the most of any opportunities that come your way.”
Raggett, who signed a two-year deal with Whites last year, scored his first league goal of the season at Welling on New Year’s Day and he has no intention of it being his last.