Home   Dover   Sport   Article

Dover Athletic 1 Weymouth 2 match report: Relegated Whites end National League season with a cruel defeat despite Jack Nelson's goal

Dover finished a terrible season which ended in National League relegation with a cruel defeat to Weymouth on Sunday.

Brandon Goodship opened the scoring before the much-improved Whites equalised after the restart through substitute Jack Nelson.

Dover manager Andy Hessenthaler was sent off. Picture: Barry Goodwin
Dover manager Andy Hessenthaler was sent off. Picture: Barry Goodwin

But Dover’s campaign was summed up in stoppage-time when home goalkeeper Alexis Andre Jr saved a penalty after George Wilkinson had been sent off but Tom Blair netted the rebound to give Weymouth - also relegated from the top-flight of English non-league football - the win.

Weymouth went close in the seventh minute with the first chance at Crabble as Goodship drilled Ben Greenwood’s left-wing cross against goalkeeper Andre’s right-hand post.

But just three minutes later, Haji Mnonga was adjudged to have been fouled by Danny Collinge by referee Tom Bishop inside the penalty box. Goodship sent Andre the wrong way to draw first blood and for the 100th league goal Dover have conceded this term.

On-loan Whites frontman Michael Gyasi caused the away defence problems all game and the ball fell to Henry Woods after a good run by him. But the Gillingham loan midfielder’s delivery flashed across goal on 15 minutes as he played in front of Gills chairman Paul Scally who was in attendance.

Two minutes later, Whites boss Andy Hessenthaler was sent off for the second time this campaign. He was given two bookings in quick succession by Mr Bishop for dissent having been sent off in an 11-goal thriller at Wrexham in March.

Midfielder George Wilkinson was also given his marching orders late on. Picture: Barry Goodwin
Midfielder George Wilkinson was also given his marching orders late on. Picture: Barry Goodwin

In the 19th minute, Woods once again went close for the hosts when his deflected strike was gathered by Terras goalkeeper Tommy Scott.

The next moment of any real note came with 36 minutes played as Mnoga brought down young Dover midfielder Luke Baptiste and was booked.

But there was very much an end-of-season feel to the match at this stage, with the Terras 1-0 ahead at the break.

The hosts almost scored a freak goal just two minutes into the second period. A Collinge long throw hit the face of a Weymouth player and landed narrowly wide of Scott’s right-hand post.

Dover’s encouraging start after the restart continued in the 50th minute when Wilkinson slotted through Gyasi, only for the visiting defence to do enough to clear the danger.

Four minutes later, Collinge, on the back of a two-goal display at Bromley last weekend, bent a deflected shot narrowly wide.

Goodship looked to add to his and his team’s tally for the afternoon at the other end, but he was thwarted by Andre.

Just before the hour mark, Whites went agonisingly close as Arjanit Krasniqi’s deflected long-range shot was tipped on to the bar by Scott and Baptiste wasn’t quite able to force the rebound home.

Woods was proving influential and his deflected strike was eventually gathered by Scott.

A nice Weymouth moved midway through the half saw Xander McBurnie, the brother of Scotland and Sheffield United striker Oli, force a simple save from Andre.

Meanwhile, Whites defender Harry Ransom had been sent up front.

Gyasi then almost capped a fine run with a goal, sending a curling strike against Scott’s left-hand post.

Weymouth, once again, relied upon the woodwork 16 minutes from time. Another brilliant run from Gyasi saw him cut inside and cannon another thunderous strike against the post when many thought it was in.

But only two minutes later, Whites deservedly levelled when Nelson scored his first senior goal for the club from Collinge’s long throw.

Dover penalty appeals were waved away in the 78th minute, Gyasi appeared to strike a ball against a Terras defender’s hands but referee Mr Bishop waved away the protests.

At the other end, nine minutes from time, Weymouth threatened as Greenwood whipped a free-kick narrowly wide.

Collinge rose highest to meet a Krasniqi corner, which landed on the away team’s bar, with 86 minutes played.

But Whites’ season was summed up in the third minute of stoppage-time after they conceded another penalty.

Wilkinson was given a second yellow by Mr Bishop after a foul on Cameron Murray, much to the dismay of stand-in skipper Jake Goodman who was also booked, while Wilkinson eventually hobbled off after his harsh dismissal.

Andre saved the penalty but substitute Blair was on hand to convert the rebound before Dover's players and management team applauded the home supporters at the full-time whistle.

Dover had made two changes as club captain Ryan Hanson missed out with concussion and was replaced by Will Moses while Harrison Byford took the place of right-back Myles Judd, who had picked up a knee injury.

The match officially ended Dover’s eight-year stay in the National League as they finished bottom of the table on a point having started the campaign on minus 12 points.

Dover Athletic: Andre, Moses, Goodman, Ransom, Woods, Collinge, Byford (Nelson 64mins), Wilkinson, Baptiste (Nikaj 86mins), Krasniqi, Gyasi. Subs not used: Bexon, Wratten, Agbebi.

Weymouth: Scott, Greenwood, McBurnie, Goodship (Bearwish 83mins), Mnoga, Robinson, Mampala (Blair 82mins), Murray, Buse, Harfield, Carlyle. Subs not used: Mussa, Ash, Bruton.

Referee: Tom Bishop.

Attendance: 763.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More