Home   Dover   Sport   Article

Dover Athletic 1 Morecambe 0 match report

More news, no ads


Dover Athletic stunned League 2 side Morecambe with a deserved 1-0 win at Crabble on Saturday to book their place in the Second Round of the FA Cup.

Whites’ fine form in the world’s oldest cup competition in recent years continued as a solitary goal from Stefan Payne shortly before half-time was enough to see-off a side sitting 10th in the fourth tier of English football.

In their fifth appearance in the First Round – secured by overcoming Eastbourne Borough following a fourth qualifying round replay last week – Whites reached the second round proper for the fourth time, following on from their memorable wins at Gillingham at this stage in 2010 and last year’s win at Corby Town.

Chris Kinnear's side looked the more threatening in the opening stages of the game with midfielder Nick Deverdics putting a header over after five minutes.

Deverdics, who scored the winner against Eastbourne Borough last week, had another chance five minutes later but his final effort from a tight angle went wide.

The visitors didn't threaten until the 30th minute when Dover goalkeeper Andrew Rafferty saved Jack Redshaw's shot at the end of a fine solo run.

Chris Kinnear Jnr then had a couple of shots on goal, the second needing a smart save from debutant goalkeeper Joe Lumley.

But Lumley, who signed on loan from QPR on Thursday, couldn't prevent Payne from giving his side the lead shortly after.

Payne received the ball on the edge of the Morecambe box and turned sharply to beat his marker before drilling a low shot past Lumley in first half injury time.

After the break, it was the visitors who went close to scoring first after defender Sean Francis cleared Alex Kenyon's header off the line in the 52nd minute.

Rafferty then brilliantly saved substitute Padraig Amend's close range snapshot in the 73rd minute as Dover battled to stay in front.

And it needed another quality save from Rafferty to deny Kevin Ellison in a one-on-one.

At the other end, Tom Murphy shot just wide while sub Liam Bellamy saw a shot saved from an acute angle.

Lumley also saved from Payne late on but it also needed another class save from Rafferty to keep Dover's lead intact as the visitors pressed for an equaliser.

Whites fans in the 1,609 crowd then had to endure five nervous minutes of time added on at the end before the final whistle sparked wild celebrations.

The draw for the Second Round of the FA Cup will be made on Monday at 7pm and Dover will be ball number 30.

Dover striker Stefan Payne scored against Bath City before getting sent off
Dover striker Stefan Payne scored against Bath City before getting sent off

Dover: Rafferty, Essam, Bonner, Francis, Orlu, Sterling, Deverdics (Wynter 87mins), Kinnear jnr, Taiwo, Murphy (Bellamy 75mins), Payne (Raggett 90mins). Subs not used: Rutherford, Reid, Lock, Hook.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More