Home   Dover   Sport   Article

Dover Athletic 1 Eastbourne Borough 0 - FA Cup match report

More news, no ads


Nick Deverdics could not have picked a better time to score his first goal for Dover Athletic on Tuesday night.

Whites are through to the first round of FA Cup for the second consecutive season after the midfielder’s 37th minute header secured a 1-0 win over Vanarama Conference South side Eastbourne Borough in the fourth qualifying round replay at Crabble.

The reward for Whites is a first round tie against League 2 side Morecambe on the weekend of November 8-9. The date will be confirmed early next week.

After the 0-0 draw at Eastbourne’s Priory Lane on Saturday, former Newcastle United trainee Deverdics, who signed for Whites in July, settled the tie after he got on the end of Solomon Taiwo’s cross to beat impressive Eastbourne goalkeeper Lewis Carey.

Nicky Deverdics heads home in the 1-0 FA Cup replay win against Eastbourne Borough last season
Nicky Deverdics heads home in the 1-0 FA Cup replay win against Eastbourne Borough last season

Carey had earlier produced stunning saves to deny Deverdics, Barry Cogan and Tom Murphy as Dover attacked from the start in a performance boss Chris Kinnear said could have led to a lot more goals being scored.

Had it not been for the display from former Bristol City man Carey that is.

Carey, who was born in Tunbridge Wells, stopped everything that came his way before he was finally beaten by an unmarked Deverdics.

While Carey was being kept busy, his Dover counterpart Andrew Rafferty, had little to do in the opening half.

He did have one anxious moment though after he failed to hold Marvin Hamilton's well struck free-kick before the ball was scrambled away to safety.

Dover ended the half strongly and went close to extending their lead through Luton Town loanee Taiwo.

His diving header from Deverdics' cross just missed its target before he saw his powerful long range shot go really close just before half-time.

Dover, captained by Connor Essam with regular Craig Stone on the bench, went close to scoring again after the break when Deverdics' curling free-kick hit the side netting.

Stefan Payne then missed a great chance to make it 2-0 following an impressive run by Tom Murphy.

Murphy's pass found Payne open in the box but the striker sliced well wide with the goal at his mercy.

Payne then saw his header from Essam's cross turned over by Carey in spectacular fashion.

After keeping his side in the tie, Carey then tried to make a difference at the other end of the field, joining the attack in the final moments.

But Dover held firm to book their berth in the next round.

Earlier, Kinnear made four changes to his side from Saturday’s line-up with Tyrone Sterling, Taiwo, Barry Cogan and Stefan Payne coming in for Tom Wynter, Craig Stone, Christian Nanetti and Jake Reid.

Dover: Rafferty, Essam (C), Bonner, Orlu,Sterling, Taiwo, Kinnear jnr, Deverdics, Cogan (Raggett 88mins), Murphy (Nanetti 81), Payne (Reid 78mins). Subs not used: Stone, Bellamy,Rutherford, Hook.

Attendance: 1,042

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More