Published: 12:00, 06 October 2016
Paramedics were called to a village pub when a customer started hallucinating after unknowingly tucking into a cake laced with cannabis.
The illicit birthday treat was made by a barmaid for a friend and mistakenly dished up to a drinker at the Freewheel pub in Graveney.
Concerned punters called 999 after he became short of breath after eating a slice of the hash-filled birthday sponge.
He was treated by ambulance crews, while another customer is reported to have rushed home “feeling strange” after he too was said to have taken a bite.
The barmaid was later sacked by pub landlord Adrian Oliver, who said the cake was found to contain ingredients “usually more associated with coffee shops in Amsterdam”.
He said paramedics had been called as soon as the unsuspecting drinker fell ill, adding he had made a full recovery.
“After further investigation it was found a staff member had made a cake for a friend and had given them it inside the pub,” he said.
“The recipient then shared some of the cake with his friends.
“This cake was not made on the premises and the pub’s owners were not aware that this private arrangement had been organised and was not aware of the cake being consumed until the member of public became ill.
“The cake was later found to include unusual ingredients, usually more associated with coffee shops in Amsterdam.
“The member of staff concerned has taken full responsibility and has since been dismissed.
“We would like to apologise unreservedly for any stress this has caused.”
Mr Oliver has transformed the Freewheel since he took over last year, opening it as the UK’s first ever cycling pub.