Home   Faversham   News   Article

Fire at The Phoenix Tavern in Abbey Street, Faversham

By Katie Davis

Fire crews were forced to close a road as they tackled a chimney blaze at a popular pub.

Two fire engines and a height vehicle were sent to the Phoenix Tavern in Abbey Street in Faversham at about 10.50am.

The road was shut while officers used chimney gear and a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire, believed to be caused by a build-up of soot.

Fire crews at the scene in Abbey Street, Faversham

No casualties were reported, and crews left the scene shortly after 12.30pm.

A fire spokesman said: "The cause of fire was believed to be due to a build-up of soot in the chimney.

"Two fire engines and a height vehicle were in attendance. Crews used chimney gear and a high-pressure hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

"Following the incident, firefighters are urging owners of properties with chimneys or wood burners to have them swept and inspected regularly to reduce the risk of a fire.

Police assisted the fire service by enforcing a road closure.

A spokesman said: "Police received a report that a premises in Abbey Street, Faversham, was alight at 11.18am.

"Officers provided assistance to Kent Fire and Rescue Service crews by enforcing a road closure."

Read more: All the latest news from Faversham

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More