Published: 11:44, 10 June 2021
| Updated: 11:46, 10 June 2021
A family's beloved dog nearly died after eating a mouldy sausage thrown into her garden.
Border terrier Millie began trembling and shaking shortly after coming back into the house just as owner Jakub Ovecka was preparing for bed.
Very quickly, her condition deteriorated and soon Millie couldn’t stand up.
On arrival, emergency vet surgeon Silvia could see immediately how sick Millie was.
The vet established that she may have eaten something toxic and administered medicine to make her sick.
Millie brought up some old food, including a sausage which Jakub knew immediately hadn’t come from him.
Happily, Millie eventually perked up well enough to go home later that night - with some charcoal tablets to clean any remaining toxins from her stomach.
Jakub said: “Someone who was passing by has obviously decided to throw this sausage over the fence, which is very disappointing to say the least.
"I’m incredibly grateful to Silvia - she saved our dog and was there late at night exactly when we needed her."
It’s believed the sausage Millie ate may have been mouldy.
Mouldy food can contain mycotoxins which are highly dangerous to dogs.
Mycotoxicosis, which is poisoning by products contaminated by fungi, can be fatal.
Dog owners should always keep food waste well out of reach of dogs and seek urgent veterinary advice if they suspect their dog has eaten mouldy food or raided the food recycling bin.
Silvia said: “Poor Millie really was very unwell indeed when she arrived.
"Her owner did the right thing in seeking help straight away.
"Her case also demonstrates just how important it is people dispose of leftovers carefully.
"If you’re worried your dog has eaten something toxic contact your vet as quickly as possible. Time really is of the essence.
"Millie was such a lovely dog. It was great to see her recover so quickly and we’re pleased that everything is fine now.”
For more information about Vets Now, visit here