Home   Folkestone   News   Article

Folkestone drug dealer caught by police three times in a year

A dealer caught with drugs three times in a year - and released under investigation twice - has finally been jailed.

John Andrew, of Folkestone, shouted "that's a lie - they were all mine" at Canterbury Crown Court when his lawyer suggested he may have fallen victim to cuckooing.

Judge Rupert Lowe on Friday jailed the 44-year-old for five years, after hearing police released him twice under investigation follwing raids between May 2019 and June 2020.

John Andrew was caught with drugs three times in just over a year. Photo: Kent Police
John Andrew was caught with drugs three times in just over a year. Photo: Kent Police

The "busy drug dealer's" Harbour Way home was raided when police uncovered 180 grams of amphetamines and £1,200 worth of cannabis, as well as a grow tent, cutting agent and 523 drug dealing messages.

Andrew was released under investigation before police swooped on his home again four months later to find him "back at it big time."

A search uncovered 93 MDMA pills, six LSD tabs, 1.2 kilos of amphetamines in the fridge, an amphetamine recipe book, and cannabis worth £8,000.

Andrew was charged with nine counts of possession of drugs with intent to supply in May 2020 and again released under investigation.

About a year later he was caught with almost a kilo of amphetamines in a rucksack worth about £3,000 in Dover Road, Dover.

His barrister Tom Dunn argued Andrew, who battles schizophrenia, was "extremely vulnerable with mental health issues" following recent psychiatric reports.

Mr Dunn told Judge Lowe county lines dealers may have taken advantage of his client however, the drug dealer shot down the suggestion.

Appearing via video-link from HMP Elmley he shouted 'that's a lie - they were all mine."

Andrew had previously complained on social media he had fallen into a trap, the court heard.

On Friday, Andrew pleaded guilty to possession of Class A, B and C drugs with intent to supply at Canterbury Crown Court and was jailed for five years.

Judge Lowe told the Scottish national his phone records showed he was "a busy drug dealer" and "should have been remanded in custody" on at least the second time he was caught.

PC Katie Garcia, of the Folkestone community safety unit, said: "Andrew's repeated possession of a range of drugs, even after he was charged, shows he was determined to keep dealing and profit from the misery of others.

"This case highlights the importance of residents pro-actively coming forward with information that supports police in prosecuting drug dealers and I would like to thank everyone who helped our work.

"The five-year sentence handed down by the court shows that considerable prison terms await drug dealers and I hope it will act as a warning to anyone else tempted to get involved."

To read more of our in depth coverage of all of the major trials coming out of crown and magistrates' courts across the county, click here.

For information on how we can report on court proceedings, click here.

Read more: All the latest news from Folkestone

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More