A controversial road closure villagers feared would leave them cut off for six weeks has been called off.
Highways chiefs planned to shut Broad Street - a section of the Canterbury Road south of Lyminge - from yesterday to allow roadworks necessary for the installation of drainage to a new-build housing development to take place.
But at the last minute the developer Pentland Homes decided to heed the concerns of neighbours and abandon the planned works.
People living in the village had been incensed at the duration of the proposed closure, the length of the official diversion and the risk that emergency services would not be able to reach the community quickly enough.
More than 1,000 people signed a petition calling on the authorities to rethink the plans.
A spokesman for the developers said: "Pentland Homes would like to announce that they have made the decision to remove the road closure and reopen the road from 1pm on Monday.
"Stagecoach and emergency services are being notified.
"We are aware of the considerable local concerns and Pentland Homes will revisit and exhaust all future options."
Mark Barrett, an IT manager who started the online petition, expressed his delight at the move not to close the road.
The 42-year-old said: "We collected over 1,000 signatures for our petition in four days, took legal advice, wrote to councillors and our MP.
"We put the case that the closure should not go ahead without alternatives being considered and the risks to villagers being properly assessed and managed.
"We are delighted that Pentland Homes have had to listen to us. It’s great news for the village."
Kent County Council had insisted a complete closure - which had been due to begin today - would be necessary "for the safety of the public and workforce while drainage works are undertaken".
The closure would have also meant Stagecoach's direct 17 bus route between Canterbury and Folkestone would have be severed, with a shuttle service operating from either side of the closure north to Canterbury and south to Folkestone.
A KCC spokesman said: "Officers planned these roadworks, with the developer, to minimise disruption as far as possible to the surrounding community.
"Following an inspection of the site this morning, it was found the developer had not started the works.
"Officers are working to find out why the developer has not commenced the works, so that these are not delayed and long-term disruption because of the delay can be avoided."
Additional reporting by James Pallant