Home   Folkestone   Sport   Article

Fleetwood Town take Folkestone Invicta defender Finn O'Mara on trial

Finn O’Mara has been tipped to return to the professional game after earning a trial at Fleetwood Town.

The former Gillingham defender spent last week with their League 1 rivals after catching the eye for Folkestone.

O’Mara is now back with Invicta but his manager Neil Cugley is confident the 19-year-old will get another chance.

Finn O'Mara pictured during his time at Gillingham Picture: Barry Goodwin
Finn O'Mara pictured during his time at Gillingham Picture: Barry Goodwin

He said: “Fleetwood watched a couple of games, asked if he could go up for a week and we never say no to that.

“I don’t think anything has come of it, or will come of it, but it’s good they thought there was something there.

“I know we had to pay a small fee for him but I think it was money really well spent in the long-term. We think a lot of him and we’re trying, especially Roland Edge, to educate him on defensive play.

“That’s the great thing about Finn; he can play centre-half but he can play right or left-back and he can play centre-midfield.

“He’s got a great attitude – he’s a really good lad.”

O’Mara left Gills to join Folkestone in October and is clearly feeling the benefit of regular men’s football.

Cugley said: “Sometimes under-23 football isn’t very good for these players. It can hold them back.

“Finn’s a man. He knows he didn’t play well on Saturday (when Folkestone lost 6-0 at Dorking) but he’ll bounce back. He’s got that character and resolve.You could see it hurt him. The Prior lad is a top player, he’s had a good battle with him and that’s how you learn.

Finn O'Mara in action for Folkestone Picture: Paul Amos
Finn O'Mara in action for Folkestone Picture: Paul Amos

“I think Finn will finish up playing full-time football somewhere, it might be Conference or in the lower leagues, because he’s got the sheer will and want to do it.”

Folkestone go to Harlow on Saturday having this week received bad news about Ronnie Dolan.

The midfielder chipped a bone in his ankle and Cugley said: “I don’t think he’ll play again this season.

“We were hoping it would clear up with rest but he’ll need an operation.

“I’m disappointed for him because he was playing maybe his best football. Matt Newman and Josh Vincent were the same, playing their best football of their careers when they picked up injuries.

“Scott Heard came back earlier than we thought, so that was a bonus, but to get back to the standards we know he can achieve takes time.

“He was out for nearly a year and those things have been frustrating – but we’re still in there.”


More by this author


Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More