Home   Folkestone   Sport   Article

Folkestone Invicta 4 Wingate & Finchley 1 match report

By Joe Harbert

Folkestone got their first Isthmian Premier win of the season after they defeated Wingate & Finchley by the same scoreline for the second time this week.

Four goals in a rampant second-half from Neil Cugley’s men on Saturday ultimately proved too much for the visitors, as Invicta responded to last week’s opening day defeat to Worthing with a comfortable win.

Folkestone manager Neil Cugley. Picture: Andy Jones (42429825)
Folkestone manager Neil Cugley. Picture: Andy Jones (42429825)

It was a repeat scoreline from Invicta's midweek FA Cup First Qualifying Round win in north London on Wednesday night.

However, the hosts were certainly fortunate not to have gone into half-time behind, as Wingate looked the more likely team to open the scoring in the early stages.

Forwards Goldy Capela and Mauro Vilhete both spurned early opportunities to put them ahead, with J’Ardell Stirling also coming close to netting when he nearly toe-poked the ball past Invicta’s Timothy Roberts.

With further chances then missed from Kavan Cotter and Samir Bihmoutine - the latter rattling the crossbar with an inswinging corner - Folkestone went into the interval no doubt relieved to not be behind.

Yet Cugley’s team emerged for the second 45 minutes with a spring in their step, and took the lead just 12 minutes into the half - Scott Heard’s corner finding its way to the penalty spot, with the ball eventually going in off Wingate’s Ahmet Rifat to make it 1-0.

They then doubled their lead just four minutes later when Ian Draycott got his second goal of the season and his first in the league.

Good play from the hosts down the right-hand side eventually allowed Invicta’s number nine to squeeze the ball past opposition goalkeeper Myles Roberts just after the hour for a terrific team goal.

With new striker David Smith also continuing to look a threat for the home side, the 21-year-old almost grabbed the game’s third goal when his right-footed effort came within inches of the post with 20 minutes to go.

Yet the Invicta faithful didn’t have to wait long for their side to seal the victory, as once again another set-piece proved to be Wingate’s undoing.

Finn O’Mara's initial effort from another Folkestone corner was brilliantly saved by Roberts, but Aaron Simpson was on hand to put the rebound home and net on his debut.

Hopes of a first clean sheet though for Folkestone were dashed with the final whistle looming, as Wingate were awarded a penalty on 86 minutes for handball. Suleiman Bakalandwa smashed home the resulting spot-kick into the top corner to give Roberts no chance.

Nevertheless, Invicta ensured they got the last laugh and the icing on the cake when, deep into stoppage time, Smith and Adem Ramadan combined to allow Heard to net a well-deserved fourth for Cugley’s team.

They will hope to make it back-to-back league victories when they host Cray Wanderers on Tuesday.

Folkestone: Roberts, Vincent, Wright, O’Mara, Davies, Everitt (Ramadan 79mins), Heard, Dolan, Hasler (Simpson 70mins), Draycott (Sterling 90mins), Smith. Subs not used: Woodcock, Newcombe.

Wingate & Finchley: Roberts, Ifil, Bihmoutine, Edwards (Bakalandwa 79mins), Eales, Rifat (Kennedy 63mins), Stirling, Tejan-Sie, Capela (Healey 61mins), Cotter, Vilhete. Subs not used: Sayoud, Doyle.

Attendance: 408.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More