Home   Gravesend   News   Article

George Low was unlawfully killed in Cyprus

A man that was stabbed to death in Cyprus was unlawfully killed, an inquest has heard.

George Low died in Ayia Napa in August 2016 after he was stabbed twice on a holiday to the party resort town.

The 22-year-old, who was born in Gravesend and lived in Dartford, was on holiday with his friend Ben Barker, 24, when they got involved in an altercation with locals on the last day of their visit, which resulted in the estate agents death.

WATCH: Kent man, 22, stabbed to death on holiday

An inquest held at Maidstone’s Archbishop’s Palace, which was attended by Mr Low’s family, friends and Dartford MP Gareth Johnson, heard how a fight broke out leading to both Brits behind stabbed.

Mr Low, a regular visitor to Cyprus having worked there in previous years, was stabbed in the neck and lung.

A post mortem had his cause of death as haemorrhagic shock as a result of injury to the lung and carotid artery, due to a sharp object.

Coroner Roger Hatch read evidence from a group of eye witnesses, including Ben Barker, which recalled the events that night.

Mr Low and Mr Barker had been drinking on a "mayhem bar crawl", before they ended up at the Bell’s Pub, where Mr Low had worked during his time in Ayia Napa.

At around 3am a fight broke out between Mr Low, Mr Barker and two locals, which resulted in the two unknown men running away. The cause of the fight is still unknown.

Eyewitness recalled the men returning with a couple of other men before a fight ensued.

Mr Barker said he “managed to side step one man and grab him by the neck” before feeling a sharp object hit his back. Moments later he realised he had been stabbed and pulled the knife out.

George Low died in Cyrpus (13640090)
George Low died in Cyrpus (13640090)

He headed to the Bell’s Pub where a friend took his shirt from him and covered the wound.

The next thing the 24-year-old remembered was “seeing a circle of people” in the streets. He ran over and saw Mr Low unconscious on the floor bleeding heavily from the neck.

Paramedics were called to the scene but the Dartford resident died later that night as a result of his injuries.

His parents Martyn and Helen Low called for justice after the inquest for their son.

George Low's parents outside Archbishop's Palace in Maidstone (13640762)
George Low's parents outside Archbishop's Palace in Maidstone (13640762)

Martyn Low said: “It was very, very harrowing listening to the last moments of your sons life. We expected an unlawful killing.

“No [it doesn’t get easier], in fact it’s got worse. You never get over anything like that. They say time heals, but it doesn’t. If you say that, you’re lying.

“We want to get justice. That’s the only thing we’ve got now, to get justice for George. Get the perpetrators handed over to the south and hope Turkey turn them over to the south. That’s what we want.”

Read more: All the latest news from Gravesend

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More