Home   Gravesend   Sport   Article

Aylesbury United 0 Ebbsfleet United 1 FA Cup match report

More news, no ads


Ebbsfleet dominated their FA Cup third qualifying round tie at Aylesbury United but only had one goal to show for their efforts on Saturday.

The Fleet were never in danger of being knocked out but they made hard work of seeing off Aylesbury, who kept their shape and discipline well.

Ebbsfleet manager Dennis Kutrieb. Picture: Keith Gillard
Ebbsfleet manager Dennis Kutrieb. Picture: Keith Gillard

Ebbsfleet made four changes from the team that won 5-2 at Chippenham in the league on Tuesday night.

Among those left out was leading scorer Dominic Poleon, who bagged a midweek treble.

Without him, the Fleet were lacking a cutting edge in the first half. Only Greg Cundle looked like making a breakthrough against a side who play two divisions below Ebbsfleet.

In wet conditions, it took nearly 20 minutes for the Fleet to seriously test keeper Archie Davis, who held Ben Chapman's low drive.

Cundle flashed a right-foot shot just wide of the upright and then 10 minutes before half-time he bundled his way through two defenders before fizzing in a low shot which Davis did well to brilliantly turn behind for a corner.

Fleet's first-half showing was summed up just before the break when the ball fell nicely for Lee Martin just inside the area but he took an extra touch and saw his shot blocked before then firing the loose ball high and wide.

Fleet boss Dennis Kutrieb made a double change at half-time, replacing two of his three central midfielders with Kieran Monlouis coming on for his debut.

It took Monlouis just seven minutes to make an impact. Tobi Adebayo-Rowling initially lost possession but when he won it back, he fed Monlouis who curled a delightful right-foot shot into the far corner from 20 yards.

Adebayo-Rowling's cross hit the upright as Fleet continued to press forward,

The game, as in the first half, was almost exclusively played in Aylesbury's half and it needed another smart save from Davis to prevent Alfie Egan adding a second with 11 minutes left and then home skipper Jack Wood did brilliantly to get back back and clear Rakish Bingham's close-range attempt.

Aylesbury belatedly put the pressure on in the final minute, substitute Jamie Rudd flashing a cross along the six-yard box that no-one could connect with, but it was too little, too late from the home side.

Fleet will take their place in Monday's fourth qualifying round draw, with National League teams entering the competition at that stage.

Aylesbury: Davis, Jones, Bewley, J Wood, Jenkins, Hogg (French 73mins), Hercules, Riddick, Deacon, Jellis (Rudd 75mins), Anthonio-Forde (Seaton 67mins). Subs not used: McRohan, Stobbs, O'Connor, Weatherill.

Ebbsfleet: Haigh, Adebayo-Rowling (W Wood 77mins), Kahraman, Krasniqi (Monlouis 46mins), Cundle, Solly, Chapman, Finney, Bingham, L Martin (Egan 46mins), Romain. Subs not used: Gould, J Martin, Poleon, Paxman.

Referee: Matthew Scholes.

Attendance: 317.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More