Home   Gravesend   Sport   Article

Ebbsfleet United 2 Concord Rangers 1 match report: Rakish Bingham and Adam Mekki score

Ebbsfleet ended a run of 470 minutes without a goal as they defeated Concord on Tuesday night.

Fleet had failed to find the net in their last five National League South matches - their last goal was scored by centre-back Jake Goodman in the 2-1 win at Chippenham in November.

Ebbsfleet ended their long wait for a league goal against Concord on Tuesday night. Picture: Keith Gillard
Ebbsfleet ended their long wait for a league goal against Concord on Tuesday night. Picture: Keith Gillard

But they finally put that record to bed when scored in the 12th minute against Concord through leading scorer Rakish Bingham's seventh goal of the campaign.

Fleet made three changes from the team beaten by Dorking seven days earlier, with Chris Solly making a belated debut having joined the club last month in a holding midfield role. He provided a calming presence for the hosts, rarely giving the ball away as he dictated play.

That meant Ben Chapman was again deployed at centre-back and the back four was exposed as early as the second minute when Concord went ahead.

Sefa Kahraman stepped up inside of tracking the run of Alex Wall and the offside flag correctly stayed down, the Concord striker finding the far corner with an accomplished finish beyond Jordan Holmes.

Fleet's response was swift, however. When skipper Adam Mekki's shot was blocked by keeper Ada Przybek, the ball fell for Bingham who worked himself room in the area before slotting home.

Three minutes later, Will Wood headed over a Kahraman corner and Fleet went close again minutes later. Mekki cut in and saw his right-foot shot beaten away, Solly picked up the loose ball and when his shot was well saved, Bingham was relieved that the offside flag spared his blushes after fluffing the rebound.

Fleet thought they'd gone ahead on 22 minutes when another Kahraman corner caused problems in the visitors' defence. Taylor's near-post header hit the inside of the far post, and keeper Przybek with Fleet claiming it crossed the line. Referee Alex Blake and his assistant were both unmoved.

Concord had only one other attempt in the first half, Wall drilling a 20-yard free-kick well wide of the target.

But it was an improvement from the home side after a poor run of results and something they were able to build on in the second half.

Like the first half, it was mainly one-way traffic with Fleet well on top.

Great footwork and an exchange with Alfie Egan almost saw Jack Paxman conjure up a second, Taylor's blockbuster was saved and Egan forced an excellent near-post stop.

Fleet deservedly went ahead on 65 minutes when Concord's Sam Blackman played a blind backpass which presented the ball straight to Bingham. When his shot was blocked by keeper Przyebek, Mekki gleefully converted the loose ball into an empty net.

Fleet had a glorious chance to put the game to bed but substitute Alex Eirich fluffed his lines at the far post. They were almost made to pay with nine minutes left but Concord substitute Odei Martin somehow blazed over from close range after Wall's lay-off.

Mekki fired wide with three minutes left and while Concord launched a few balls into the Fleet box late on, the hosts held on throughout four minutes of stoppage time.

Ebbsfleet: Holmes, Adebayo-Rowling, Chapman, Kahraman, Taylor (Dobson 83mins), Mekki, Egan, Solly, Wood (Allen 69mins), Paxman (Eirich 69mins), Bingham. Subs not used: Hadler, Grant.

Concord: Przybek, Popo, Shaw, Blackman, Roast, Pollock, Bridge (Babalola 80mins), A Charles, Wall, Simper, R Charles (Martin 66mins). Subs not used: Johnson, Blanchfield, Haigh.

Referee: Alex Blake.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More