Home   Gravesend   Sport   Article

Ebbsfleet United 1 Chippenham Town 1 (Chippenham won 9-8 on penalties) FA Cup match report

Ebbsfleet United were knocked out of the FA Cup in the Third Qualifying Round following a dramatic penalty shoot-out on Tuesday night.

The Fleet went through on spot-kicks in the last round against Hastings but there was no such luck as both teams took 10 penalties each.

Fleet missed their third spot-kick through Rakish Bingham before keeper Jordan Holmes saved Chippenham's fourth penalty.

The teams kept on converting until with the scores at 8-8 it was down to the keepers - Chippenham had a player sent-off in the 90 minutes so Fleet's Reece Grant didn't take part in the shoot-out.

Ebbsfleet keeper Jordan Holmes dragged his shot wide of the upright and his opposite number, Will Puddy, then converted for Chippenham to send them through.

Fleet had switched to a 3-4-3 formation as they made seven changes from the team that drew 1-1 with Dulwich in the league on Saturday.

They fell behind inside eight minutes. A stray pass at the back from Michael West gifted the ball to Adam Mann and he slotted neatly past keeper Holmes, who was picked between the sticks ahead of Tom Hadler as the rotation policy continued.

The visitors grew in confidence understandably and Holmes' handling had to be secure on the wet playing surface as rain continued to fall for most of the opening half.

Mann's long-range effort was beaten away and then the Fleet keeper did well to hold Ross Stearn's drive free-kick. He clashed with Chippenham's big striker Ryan Brunt immediately afterwards, with the visitors' number nine shown the yellow card for his troubles.

Ebbsfleet had been pretty to a point. Their approach work was neat and tidy but they lacked any cutting edge.

They did improve towards the break. James Dobson had Fleet's first shot on target after 40 minutes. Then Greg Cundle's near-post shot was beaten away at this near post by Puddy and Michael West went close with a volley after a flowing move by the hosts.

Fleet needed an excellent Bobby-Joe Taylor block to deny Brad Ash a second for the visitors early in the second half.

The home side increased the pressure, West again going close before Puddy tipped over Mekki's powerful drive.

Fleet were given a helping hand, or presumably elbow, with 18 minutes left when Chippenham substitute Callum Gunner clattered into Jack Paxman. Referee Paul Johnson was probably too close to the incident but he had no hesitation to show a red card despite furious protests from the visitors.

Ben Chapman forced Puddy into action with six minutes left but clear-cut chances were few and far between for Ebbsfleet as Chippenham defended with desire and organisation.

However, their resistance was broken in the final minute when Mekki did well down the left and Charlie Rowan - playing with a face mask after breaking his nose at Braintree - was on hand to turn the ball home.

Despite four minutes of stoppage time when both teams threatened to find a winner, the tie went straight to penalties with Chippenham progressing to the next round.

Ebbsfleet: Holmes, Chapman, Taylor, Kahraman, Rowan, Paxman, West (Wood 83mins), Cundle, Dobson (Mekki 46mins), Grant, Martin (Bingham 58mins). Subs not used: Hadler, Frempah, Allen, Egan.

Chippenham: Puddy, Jones, Smerdon, Dyer, Parselle, Russe, Mann (Phillips 64mins), Hawks (Gunner 46mins), Brunt (Zebroski 77mins), Ash, Stearn. Subs not used: Tyler, Bray.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More