Home   Gravesend   Sport   Article

Ebbsfleet United 2 Wrexham 1 match report

Ebbsfleet climbed off the foot of the National League table with a spirited win over relegation rivals Wrexham.

Myles Weston scored a stunning second-half winner to give manager Kevin Watson his first home victory on Saturday.

Ebbsfleet boss Kevin Watson. Picture: Sean Aidan FM21792428
Ebbsfleet boss Kevin Watson. Picture: Sean Aidan FM21792428

Fleet made four changes to the team beaten 5-2 at Barnet in midweek, keeper Jordan Holmes among those to come into the side. While Tyler Cordner kept his place but was back in a familiar defensive position after the midweek midfield experiment lasted just one game.

Striker Tomi Adeloye, playing alongside Gozie Ugwu, was one of those to come into the team and keen to make his mark, he started brightly.

Adeloye’s right-foot cross-shot after five minutes was saved by keeper Rob Lainton and Alfie Egan then headed over at the far post from a teasing Myles Weston cross.

Fleet got their reward on 10 minutes, Adeloye ran at visiting skipper Shaun Pearson and finally crossed into a crowded six-yard box where the ball went in off the unfortunate James Jennings at the far post.

The hosts needed to push on while they were on top but, a Josh Payne long-range attempt aside, they failed to make the most of their dominance.

Instead Wrexham levelled the scores up just past the half-hour, Bobby Grant crossed a well-worked set piece into the box where it was nodded down for Kieran Kennedy to finish past Holmes.

Wrexham then enjoyed their best spell of the half, keeping possession as Fleet struggled to clear their lines.

Again, though, clear-cut chances were few and far between and it needed a timely challenge by Fleet captain Jack King to deny Grant a clear sight of goal on the stroke of half-time.

Wrexham started the second half on top with three early efforts from Grant, Omari Patrick and Akil Wright all failing to force Holmes into action.

It took Fleet 73 minutes to win their first corner of the game, an indication of how little they had produced in the final third.

But they certainly made the most of it. Weston’s cross was headed straight back to him and the Fleet winger hit it first time into the far corner to bring Stonebridge Road to life.

Substitute Alex Reid fired wide for the Fleet as the game entered four minutes of stoppage time but the fact Wrexham didn’t manage a shot on target in the second half was the only thing that mattered for the home side.

Ebbsfleet: Holmes, Ekpiteta, King, Cordner, Weston, Egan (Sutherland 76mins), Payne, Lawless, Blackman, Adeloye (Reid 60mins), Ugwu. Subs not used: Obileye, Wilson, Palmer.

Wrexham: Lainton, Jennings, Pearson, Lawlor, Summerfield, Young, Grant, Rutherford (Harris 79mins), Kennedy, Patrick, Wright. Subs not used: Dibble, Tollitt, Redmond, Carrington.

Attendance: 1,036.

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More