Home   Gravesend   Sport   Article

Ebbsfleet United 1 Yeovil Town 3 match report

Ebbsfleet's search for their first National League point of the season continued after Tuesday night's defeat.

The Fleet have now lost all four matches this season after Yeovil left Stonebridge Road with maximum points.

A goal down at the break, Fleet showed plenty of spirit but lacked quality at key times.

National League 2019/20. Ebbsfleet United (Red) v .FC Halifax Town (Orange).Pictured is Gozie Ugwu..Kuflink Stadium, Stonebridge Road, Northfleet, DA11 9GN.Picture: Andy Jones. (15181979)
National League 2019/20. Ebbsfleet United (Red) v .FC Halifax Town (Orange).Pictured is Gozie Ugwu..Kuflink Stadium, Stonebridge Road, Northfleet, DA11 9GN.Picture: Andy Jones. (15181979)

Fleet made one change from Saturday's defeat at AFC Fylde, Alex Lawless dropping out of the squad with Myles Weston taking his place in the starting line-up.

Both sides had their chances in the first half. Rhys Murphy lacked power as early as the third minute for the vistors while John Goddard sent one of three chances he fashioned for himself in the opening 45 minutes over the bar at the other end.

A neat exchange by Yeovil sliced open the Fleet defence but Courtney Duffus' early shot went wide of the upright.

Josh Umerah was proving a handful for the visiting defence, he bundled his way through only to fluff his shot but still managed to cross for Gozie Ugwu, whose downward header was cleared by Yeovil's Lee Collins.

Yeovil took the lead on 27 minutes. A long free-kick into the Fleet penalty area saw Tom Bradbury fire the ball across goal and Murphy was on hand to divert it beyond keeper Nathan Ashmore.

It was a shaky opening half by the Fleet keeper, one clearance went straight to Lawson D'Ath, who nearly scored from 45 yards with Ashmore scrambling back to claim the ball.

Despite trailing, Fleet still showed plenty of spirit - and still kept creating chances against a Yeovil defence that looked far from assured.

Ayo Obileye's header lacked power, Goddard shot wide from distance and then he was denied by the legs of Nelson.

Yeovil added a second goal just three minutes into the second half. Substitute Remeao Hutton was given time and space to cut inside and fire low beyond Ashmore from 20 yards.

Fleet skipper Jack King was then cautioned after pulling down Duffus as he threatened to break clear just before the hour mark.

Fleet introduced Brandon Thomas-Asante for the final 20 minutes and Ugwu's willing running nearly paid off as he fired across the face of goal. Fleet weren't giving up without a fight.

James Ball twice went close within a minute, firing wide and then just failing to connect with a dangerous Sean Shields centre.

It was no more than the Fleet deserved when they pulled one back with 12 minutes to go. Goddard delivered a perfect free-kick and Aswad Thomas nodded in from close range.

But any hopes of a comeback were dashed just four minutes later. Fleet piled bodies forward for a free-kick but when the ball was cleared, they were lacking numbers and Tom Whelan swept the ball beyond Ashmore.

Ebbsfleet: Ashmore, King, Thomas, Obileye, Wilson (Shields 56mins), Ball, Ugwu, Goddard, Weston, Umerah (Thomas-Asante 70mins), Grimes. Subs not used: Palmer, Egan, N'Gala.

Yeovil: Nelson, Alcock, Collins (Dickinson 46mins), Worthington, D'Ath (Lee 77mins), Murphy (Hutton 31mins), Hippolyte, Duffus, Skendi, Bradbury, Whelan. Subs not used: Brzozowski, Seager.

Attendance: 1,057.

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More