Home   Herne Bay   News   Article

Brain op may cure schoolboy

More news, no ads


MAKING PROGRESS: Harry Davison and his mother Tracey. Picture: CHRIS DAVEY
MAKING PROGRESS: Harry Davison and his mother Tracey. Picture: CHRIS DAVEY

PARENTS of a schoolboy with epilepsy are on tenterhooks, waiting to see if an operation to remove part of his brain has stopped his seizures.

Seven-year-old Harry Davison had his right temporal lobe removed in a six hour operation at King’s College Hospital, London, on February 24.

Harry, now reunited with his chums at Hampton School, is showing no signs of the severe epilepsy he has had for the last four years.

The family were followed by a camera crew throughout the time of the operation for a BBC One series, Your Life in Their Hands, to be screened later this year.

“We have to wait a whole year before we know if the operation really worked, but so far it is looking good,” said Harry’s mother Tracey, who lives with husband Glen, Harry and their youngest son Billy, 6, in Sea Street, Herne Bay.

Harry had his first seizure when he was three and a half years old. Up until then he had been a perfectly healthy and happy little boy.

When he was four tests showed he had epilepsy, but both the seizures and the drugs he was given to control them had a dramatic effect on his personality.

From being very forward for his age he ended up with learning difficulties and challenging behaviour.

Harry’s right temporal lobe was damaged, causing the seizures. Removing it was risky – it is the part of the brain that controls memory, co-ordination and speech.

“We were told there was a chance Harry would lose his memory, co-ordination or speech and that the operation wouldn’t work. But there was also the chance he would be epilepsy-free and as his epilepsy was getting worse we felt it was a risk worth taking,” said Mrs Davison.

The transformation has been remarkable. “Now Harry is calm, he talks, he laughs and his sense of humour is amazing. He is much happier.

“We still can’t believe the epilepsy has been cured, and I always carry Harry’s medication with me. But Harry was having small fits every day before the operation and he has not had a single one since.”

“We are just keeping our fingers crossed that the operation worked. But it was definitely worth taking the chance.”

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More