Published: 09:44, 07 July 2019
| Updated: 13:13, 11 July 2019
A man and woman were pulled to shore after their jet ski burst into flames at sea.
Both crews rushed to the scene, but the powerful water bike had already been brought safely to shore by passers-by.
The man and woman, who were "fine but obviously shocked" by what had happened, decided against receiving first aid.
A Whitstable RNLI spokesman said: "The two occupants reported that the jet ski had suffered an engine fire and had started sinking.
"On investigation of the craft the lifeboat crew found that a rubber hose had split in the engine bay, allowing in water."
An ambulance was called to the scene, but the pair declined further treatment.
Following the incident yesterday, Herne Bay Coastguard has warned anyone going out on a jet ski or other craft this summer to ensure they carry essential safety equipment.
"A marine VHF radio or mobile device in waterproof bag and a life jacket - these two things alone will undoubtedly safe your life," they said. "Have fun on the sea, but be safe."
More by this authorLydia Chantler-Hicks