Home   Hythe   News   Article

Fire crews called to blaze at Port Lympne reserve in Hythe

Emergency services were called to a wild animal reserve after a candle sparked a fire.

Firefighters reached the scene in Port Lympne Reserve in Hythe just before 8pm yesterday evening.

Firefighters at the scene in Port Lympne
Firefighters at the scene in Port Lympne

They were called to reports of a fire in an outdoor bathroom, attached to the guest accommodation and very close to the lion enclosure.

An eyewitness said: "The flames were very large, and it risked the lions who live mere metres away from the fire.

"It is terrifying that this could happen when people are meant to be enjoying what fun we can have and not expecting our lives to be risked by a possibly deadly fire if they were in that area."

Two fire engines attended and crews used a hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.

Thankfully, no injuries were reported and no animals were harmed.

No animals were hurt during the fire
No animals were hurt during the fire

An investigation concluded that the fire was started accidentally after a candle was left unattended in the bathroom.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: "We would urge the public to take care when enjoying candles.

"This includes not leaving them unattended when burning, and making sure they aren't burning close to curtains, bedding or even plants.

"You also should not place burning candles on window sills or on the floor, and always extinguish them before going to bed."

Read more: All the latest news from Hythe

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More