Published: 17:17, 11 April 2021
| Updated: 17:26, 11 April 2021
Nigel Farage has launched a scathing online attack on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex following their response to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
The Kent-born former Brexit Party and Ukip leader hit-out at the couple, stating "the British public will not welcome Harry and Meghan back, even for the funeral".
He claims a statement released by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle shows their "contempt" for the Duke of Edinburgh.
It comes after Buckingham Palace announced the death of Prince Philip at the age of 99 on Friday.
He died peacefully at Windsor Castle and had been married to the Queen for 73 years.
Plans are being drawn-up for his funeral on Saturday in a service expected to be led by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
While Prince Harry will travel back from the US, the Duchess of Sussex, who is heavily pregnant with her second child, will not after being advised against it by doctors.
The couple released a statement on the website of their Archewell organisation following the Duke's death.
"In loving memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, 1921-2021," it reads.
"Thank you for your service... you will be greatly missed."
Mr Farage, who last month said he was quitting politics for good, said in a tweet: "For a couple that do public emotion as a career, this third person and one sentence statement shows their contempt for this great man and the monarchy.
"The British public will not welcome Harry and Meghan back, even for the funeral."
The Queen has described the death of her husband the Duke of Edinburgh as “having left a huge void in her life”.
Prince Andrew revealed the personal feelings of his mother after attending a church service today - along with the Countess of Wessex - where members of the royal family said prayers for Philip as the nation remembered him.
The Archbishop of Canterbury also led a service of remembrance for the Duke of Edinburgh at Canterbury Cathedral this morning.