Home   Kent   News   Article

Gas leak to blame for couple's death

Modifications to a cooker could have prevented a tragic accident in which two people were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning.

An inquest into the deaths of Zocika O’Kelly, 53 and David Roots, 55 - who were discovered dead on Christmas Day 2008 in the home they shared at 21 Belgrave Street, Eccles - revealed the couple were killed after a gas cooker in their kitchen was left on.

The inquest at County Hall revealed the top oven door of the Belling G755 cooker had been closed at some point prior to their death, releasing fatal amounts of carbon monoxide into the home.

While the cooker was not found to be in breach of manufacturing standards, the same model was said to have been involved in three other such deaths nationwide.

The design of the cooker, which is made in Turkey by manufacturers Glen Dimplex, has since been modified to prevent such accidents.

David Roots’ wife, Patricia, said she believed manufacturers must have known of the dangers connected before the deaths, but she welcomed the news that action was being taken.

 For more news from the Maidstone area visit www.kentmessenger.co.uk>>

Read more


More by this author


Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More