Published: 14:05, 06 November 2020
| Updated: 18:29, 06 November 2020
Andrew Scott-Clark says different tier levels could be applied to individual boroughs and districts - rather than to Kent as a whole - dependent on their rate of new cases.
Such measures could see Swale - which has Kent's highest infection rate - re-emerge from lockdown in Tier 2 or 3, while areas with low rates such as Ashford and Tunbridge Wells could escape the tougher measures.
"There is a chance that may happen, yes," said Mr Scott-Clark,
"But we are in constant discussion with central government, PHE and our partners to ensure our plans safeguard the health and wellbeing of Kent residents.
"When we have more information about plans post December 2 we will share them with the public."
With 1,731 new positive coronavirus tests reported in the last week of October, Kent's infection rate has jumped 30% to 109 weekly cases per 100,000 people.
While this is still less than half the England rate of 231, the latter only rose by 1.6% over the same period.
It is believed Kent was poised to enter Tier 2 ahead of Saturday's lockdown announcement after local council leaders met to discuss the implications of the measures.
They're likely to meet again before December 2, when Boris Johnson says the country will be placed back under the tier system.
If different areas of Kent are put into separate tiers, policing the restrictions is likely to be a logistical nightmare.
Households in high-rate areas like Swale (179) and Thanet (168) could find themselves unable to meet indoors, while people in districts such as Tunbridge Wells (50), Ashford (60) and Folkestone and Hythe (70) would be less restricted.
If Tier 3 restrictions were applied in any areas, some pubs and restaurants would be forced to remain closed, while those in neighbouring boroughs would be free to open.
Mr Scott-Clark has offered no more on the possibility, but has said previously: "It would make no sense to put enhanced public health measures into a place like Dartford if we see cases rising at the other end of the county."
Speaking this week, he said the recent sharp rise in Kent cases - at a time when England's spike is slowing - was expected.
"Kent has always been slightly behind the curve in the number of cases compared to the rest of the country, and we were expecting numbers to rise in line with national trends.
"The reasons for increasing numbers are a combination of factors – outbreaks in settings where social distancing is difficult to maintain, onset of winter illnesses, colder weather driving more indoor activities to name a few.
"Compliance is a key factor, though, and it’s more important than ever that people follow the new lockdown rules as we move into the cold weather season."
"We are currently working with central government, PHE, our NHS partners and district and borough councils to ensure that we can emerge from this second national lockdown safely."