Home   Kent   News   Article

Secondary school places: Parents in Kent to find out if their child got a place at their chosen school

A record number of pupils will get a place at the secondary school in the county they wanted this year.

Parents will find out today the results of their applications for places at the county’s secondary schools.

Overall, Kent County Council said 13,159 - 81.4% - first choice applications were granted this year compared to 12,796 last year - 80.5%.

More pupils are excluded in Medway than any other part of the South East
More pupils are excluded in Medway than any other part of the South East

That is despite an increase in the number of applications made this year, which went up by more than 600 to 18,797.

The number of children who have not got a place at any of the schools they applied for has fallen this year to 428 from 621 the previous year.

There has been a small increase in the number of places allocated to those who do not live in Kent, which has risen to 803 from 757.

Overall, some 97% of children were offered a place at one of the four schools they chose.

Cllr Roger Gough, KCC’s cabinet member for education, said: “In spite of the challenge, 13,159 families will receive their first preference school and 1,840 their second.”

He added: “It is a credit to our schools that parental confidence is such that so many have secured their preferred school. This year will see the highest number of children securing their first preference school to date.”

A record number of pupils will get their chosen school
A record number of pupils will get their chosen school

Most families will be able to check online from 4pm the outcome of their applications.

KCC has urged parents not to be concerned if they do not get the results they expected as the appeals process often sees children get what they originally wanted.

Cllr Gough said: “We cannot underestimate the disappointment felt by the 428 children who will be allocated a school by the local authority. We would however encourage them to not immediately discount the schools offered and to first visit the schools in question before taking any decisions.”

Cllr Roger Gough
Cllr Roger Gough

For families who applied on paper forms, offers will be sent out by first class post today and letters should arrive over the next few days.

Parents will have until March 17 to accept or refuse their offer and return waiting list forms.

Parents must also lodge any appeals for their named schools by April 13.

KCC will reallocate places from schools waiting lists, sending out a second round of offers on April 29.

For further advice, email kent.admissions@kent.gov.uk or click here.


More by this author


Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More