Home   Kent   News   Article

Welling United 4 Truro City 3

More news, no ads


By Matthew Panting

Welling staged a dramatic comeback to keep the heat on Blue Square Bet South leaders Salisbury on Saturday.

The Wings trailed Truro 3-1 at half-time after shipping three goals in six crazy minutes of defending but hit back to make it 10 wins in a row thanks to Anthony Acheampong's (pictured) 94th-minute winner.

Anthony Acheampong
Anthony Acheampong

There was little sign of what was to happen inside the opening 20 minutes. Welling, unbeaten at home this season, were in complete control and led through Loui Fazakerley's eighth-minute strike.

It should have been more as Ross Lafayette went close, Fraser Franks' near-post shot was saved, Lafayette volleyed across the face of goal and then headed wide from a corner.

Truro scored with virtually their first attack on 26 minutes when Kieffer Moore's left-foot 20-yard shot went in via the inside of the near post.

Within a minute the lead was doubled when Moore raced clear and strike partner Andy Watkins scored after keeper Sam Mott could only parry his shot.

Welling nearly levelled but were caught out for a third time on 32 minutes when poor defending from Franks and Acheampong saw Watkins set up Moore and he rounded Mott before slotting home.

The Wings were nearly back in the game just before half-time but Truro keeper Luke McCormick, who was in no rush to get on with the game at any stage, produced a stunning close-range save to keep out Fazakerley.

The home side needed Mott to be at his best early in the second half to keep out Les Afful before Welling got going just after the hour mark. Franks' long ball was chested back towards his keeper by Calron Hall but Kiernan Hughes-Mason nipped in. Both the Wings forward and McCormick missed the ball but the keeper clatted into the striker only for referee David Rock to play on. The loose ball fell to Lafayette but as he was about to fire home, Lee Hodges brought him down from behind and this time the official did point to the spot.

Hodges, Truro's player/manager, was shown a red card and after a lengthy and needless two-minute delay as he walked off, Healy tucked away the spot-kick for his 12th goal of the campaign in the 63rd minute.

Welling boss Jamie Day immediately made a triple substitution and it nearly had a quick impact but Kurtis Guthrie had a goal ruled out for offside.

The ever-willing Lafayette was rewarded seven minutes from time when he made space in the box to smash home the equaliser.

Truro could have easily been down to nine men but referee Rock opted not to give Jake Ash a second caution for clattering into Jack Obersteller.

It needed a brilliant one-handed save from Mott to deny the impressive Watkins a goal two minutes later for 10-man Truro before Acheampong had a goal disallowed in stoppage time for offside against Guthrie.

All that was forgotten, however, as Acheampong headed in a deep corner four minutes into stoppage time to spark wild celebrations. There was another two-minutes delay as Barry Hayles - who had ran 50 yards to protest to the referee - Joe Board and Marcus Martin, who picked the ball up from the centre spot and smashed it high in the air, all picked up yellow cards to earn their club a fine for multiple cautions in the game.

Once the ball was finally back in play, the referee quickly blew up for full-time, although it still took him some time to leave the field as the visitors continued their protests well after the final whistle.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More