Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Gillingham's Charlie Lee gets backing from both sets of fans at Peterborough United's London Road

Charlie Lee was among those released by Gillingham at the end of the season Picture: Ady Kerry
Charlie Lee was among those released by Gillingham at the end of the season Picture: Ady Kerry

Charlie Lee experienced a memorable night at Peterborough – despite being on the losing side.

Lee came off the bench to fill the hole in central defence following Ryan Inniss’ injury departure and got a warm reception from the home fans.

The United fans had not forgotten Lee’s involvement in three different promotion-winning teams. Both sets of supporters chanted Lee’s name throughout the match and it was a moment he won’t forget.

“It was amazing and I am very lucky to have had both sets of fans clapping me,” said the 27-year-old.

“It was a great day but I wish we could have got a better result.

“I had some brilliant times at Peterborough and to get that reception was amazing. I will never forget it.”

The Gills lost the game 2-0 - Read the match report from London Road.

Lee has only recently got his voice back, having lost it for two weeks due to a bout of laryngitis. He was also sporting a black eye and four stitches, courtesy of a miss-placed elbow in the weekend defeat against Rotherham.

He may not have looked, or sounded, in great shape but he was delighted to be out playing against his former side.

“I’ve not got anything major,” he said. “The stitches make me look a bit hard but they don’t matter and the voice is coming back now after damaging the vocal cords a bit.I just can’t talk much for the next few days.

“I shouted at Elliott Hewitt when it was still 0-0 and instead of reacting to what I said he laughed at me. Their striker actually offered to shout out for me at one point.

“We laugh about it but it isn’t ideal. Unfortunately that’s what you have to deal with and hopefully if I am needed at the weekend it will be a lot better than this.”

The Gills left Peterborough with nothing to show for their efforts and Lee said: “We worked hard but nothing really went for us.

“The first goal knocked us back a bit in the first half. Nothing really went for us and the second goal killed the game off.”

Read the thoughts of Gills manager Peter Taylor following Tuesday's defeat.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More