Published: 15:00, 09 July 2020
| Updated: 16:01, 09 July 2020
The Kent Cricket League have announced the 2020 season has been cancelled.
With an increasing amount of teams opting out of the league it has proved a “logistical nightmare” to organise a meaningful structure and the possibility of playing half a season of games has been abandoned.
The news comes despite the expected return of recreational cricket this weekend after Prime Minister Boris Johnson gave the green light for the sport to start again last Friday.
On Wednesday the ECB gave the thumbs-up for 11-a-side cricket to be played.
But a statement from the KCL said: “Having previously cancelled the "half a season" model the management committee have spent the last few weeks exploring a number of avenues to get league cricket played across the county.
“However, with an increasing number of clubs opting out, it has made the task of organising regional cricket a logistical nightmare under the banner of 'Kent League Cricket'.
“As a result of this, we have now abandoned these plans for the remainder of the season.
“It is with great reluctance that the 2020 Kent Cricket League season has now been cancelled with immediate effect.”
It is expected that clubs will now organise themselves into local regional mini-leagues across the county.
“We are confident that these will be a huge success, and we will offer our support in any possible way,” the league added.
“We wish all clubs every success for the remainder of this season. Hopefully, the weather will be kind, and some competitive cricket can be played over the coming weeks.”
An update of the status of the Kent Regional Cricket League is expected on Friday. A statement issued last weekend said the season could get underway from Saturday, July 18. Teams had been given until Monday (July 13) to opt out.
More by this authorLuke Cawdell
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)