Published: 07:41, 29 June 2020
| Updated: 07:42, 29 June 2020
People considering lighting bonfires are being warned after firefighters were called to put one out after it spread.
Two fire engines were sent to Sittingbourne Road, Maidstone, at about 2.10pm yesterday after the blaze caught on to a nearby shed and surrounding fences and trees.
Crews had to use breathing apparatus and hoses to put the fire out.
No-one was hurt and it is believed the fire started accidentally.
Firefighters have called on the public to avoid having bonfires where possible and if they do have one, to do it safely.
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "You should always build your bonfire well clear of any property, trees or fences and never leave it unattended.
"Once you are finished with the bonfire, dampen it down fully with water to ensure the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving."
The crews left shortly before 2.30pm.
More by this authorEllis Stephenson
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)