Home   Maidstone   News   Article

CCTV shows Charlie White, Alex Macdonald and James Buckley burning evidence after murdering homeless Razvan Sirbu in Loose, near Maidstone

By Kent Messenger reporter

Kent Police has released CCTV footage showing the moment three men tried to destroy evidence linking them to the murder of homeless Razvan Sirbu.

The trio are seen casually standing around a skate park shelter while burning clothing believed to link them to the killing of 21-year-old Razvan. One of the trio cycles around the Maidstone shelter while the clothing is alight.

Charlie White, Alex Macdonald and James Buckley were today convicted of murder and will be sentenced on Tuesday.

The video shows White burning the clothing and images witnessed by murder squad detectives also revealed Macdonald and Buckley appearing to re-enact some of the violence meted out to Razvan who had been alone and sleeping in a tent in Loose Conservation Area.

Razvan Sirbu
Razvan Sirbu

The defenceless Romanian national, who came to the UK with hopes of starting up his own business, suffered multiple injuries after being subjected to a sustained and unprovoked assault with weapons including a machete.

His body was discovered by dog walkers in woodland off Cave Hill on the morning of May 7, 2017.

Alex Macdonald convicted of murder
Alex Macdonald convicted of murder
Charlie White. Picture: Kent Police.
Charlie White. Picture: Kent Police.

Appearing before Maidstone Crown Court, 19-year-olds White, of Quarry Road, Maidstone and Macdonald, of Regency Place, Maidstone both pleaded not guilty to murder. Buckley, 20, of Capell Close, Coxheath, was found unfit to plead, but was found to be involved in the killing.

Sentencing has been adjourned until Tuesday, January 16.

Detective Chief Inspector Tony Pledger said: ‘This was an utterly senseless attack on a young man who stood little chance of protecting himself. Razvan Sirbu was subjected to a horrific ordeal which appears to have been entirely unprovoked. He was beaten repeatedly, suffering a catalogue of appalling injuries as a result of a sustained and savage assault.

Flowers, lanterns and other items were left in tribute to 21-year-old Razvan Sirbu
Flowers, lanterns and other items were left in tribute to 21-year-old Razvan Sirbu

"Our investigation has uncovered compelling and overwhelming evidence linking the offenders to this murder, but their refusal to tell the truth may mean we never know precisely why they carried out this attack.’

Following guilty verdicts today, Razvan's devastated mother Marinella Gafita issued a moving statement in which she said: "Razvan was the apple of my eye and I would have freely given my life for him."

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More