Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Coxheath councillor pleads not guilty to assault

By Alan Smith

A Maidstone Borough Councillor appeared in court today charged with assault.

Richard Webb was elected to represent the Coxheath and Hunton Ward as a Liberal Democrat in 2015.

He currently sits as an Independent after the Lib Dems withdrew their party whip.

Richard Webb on the left leaves court (1331137)
Richard Webb on the left leaves court (1331137)

At a preliminary hearing at Maidstone Magistrates Court it was alleged that Mr Webb had been a volunteer adult supervisor at a youth club but that following an incident during a game of dodgeball, he had pushed a boy against a wall and twisted his arm behind his back.

Andrew Jones, prosecuting, said Mr Webb then shouted at the boy: "I'm sick of you. No-one wants you here."

Mr Webb, 43, of Clockhouse Rise, Coxheath, entered a Not Guilty plea.

His defence lawyer, Keith Middleton, said that Mr Webb would claim self-defence, saying the alleged victim had first struck Mr Webb in the face with a ball.

He said the youth had already been involved in two other incidents earlier that evening.

Councillor Richard Webb
Councillor Richard Webb

The case was adjourned for trial on July 19.

The alleged victim cannot be named for legal reasons.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More