Published: 06:00, 19 August 2019
| Updated: 07:23, 19 August 2019
A horrified dad returned from hospital after suffering a stroke to find sewage had leaked into his house.
Kevin Page came home to Upper Fant Road last Thursday to a horrible smell after spending a month recovering on a ward in Maidstone Hospital.
Within a few hours, he and his wife Sharon were faced with a mix of water and waste leaking into the Maidstone property after it came gushing out of a drain in the garden.
Mrs Page, 41, said: “It was coming through the door and the walls. It’s still in the carpet but the landlord has refused to rip up the floor.
“She just used carpet shampoo to clean it up and that was it.
"Kevin is prone to getting an infection and we are worried sick.
"You can’t live like this, it makes me feel ill you can still smell it at night and it is disgusting.
"I’m worried that as it dries out we will get flies and diseases and God knows what. I would rather live in a caravan.”
The mum-of-six said she called her landlord straight away who got a private company out before contacting Southern Water.
Mrs Page added: “Some men came out but they couldn’t get a camera down the drain to work out what had happened.
“Southern Water then came and spent all night fixing it.
“The landlord came round with a bottle of bleach, a blue roll and a car air freshener for us to clean the floor. She said she would pay me to clean it but I told her I wanted it taken out and replaced because of all the germs and the smell.
“It’s just ridiculous I don’t know how much more I can take.”
The landlord, who did not want to be named, insisted she had done all she could to make the house habitable and had offered to pay for a deep clean.
She said: “I immediately got a private company out and Southern Water was there for hours. There was about half an inch of water inside the house and I stayed there and cleaned up the mess.
“Through the insurance I am getting the floor, the carpet and everything that the water damaged replaced.”
Southern Water confirmed it had dealt with the flooding, which it said was caused as a result of an internal blockage.
A spokesman for the utility firm said: “We always encourage customers to be careful in what is put down sinks and loos.”
More by this authorJess Sharp