Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Council officer Alan Marolia took his own life

By Alan Smith

A troubled man visited the place where he met his wife just 24-hours before he went missing and took his own life.

Alan Marolia took his daughter on the emotional trip and recalled the happy times he had shared at Hadlow College, where he had studied for a diploma in landscape management.

The council officer later took his own life during a fit of depression, an inquest has decided.

Alan Marolia
Alan Marolia

He left his home in Edna Road, Maidstone, at 11.30am on December 15 last year, taking the family motor-home.

Because of previous conversations, his family were concerned about his mental state and when he didn't soon come home began searching for him without success.

He was reported to the police as a missing person at 9.30pm and officers found his white Peugeot motor-home parked up in Shellness Road, Leysdown on Sea at 1.50am the next day, Sunday.

The vehicle was locked from the inside. Officers forced entry and found Mr Marolia dead inside.

Acting Detective Inspector Chris Raby said there no signs of any disturbance in the motor-home and Mr Marolia's body did not have any external injuries that might have suggested a struggle.

A post mortem determined the cause of death was acute nitrogen poisoning.

The inquest took place at Archbishop's Palace in Maidstone
The inquest took place at Archbishop's Palace in Maidstone

Assistant coroner Sonia Hayes heard evidence that Mr Marolia had fought depression for many years.

He had had a traumatic childhood and suffered physical abuse from both his parents which caused him to suffer nightmares even as an adult.

He had previously attempted suicide in 2008 and at various times had received counselling for his mental health, but had declined to take the anti-depressant medicines prescribed by his GP because of a fear that they helped cause dementia.

His wife Joanne said that he had also recently become concerned about changes to his workplace structure.

Mr Marolia had worked for Swale Borough Council for 21 years and had been the borough's contracts and procurement support manager for the past seven.

The coroner concluded that as there was no trace of any alcohol in Mr Marolia's system and that because an invoice discovered after his death had shown he had obtained a gas cannister a month before, his suicide had been intentionally planned.

  • Anyone suffering anxiety or depression can speak to the Samaritans for free at any time by calling 116 123.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More