Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Brothers James and Traynor Urquhart and stepfather Martin Quinn team up in vicious Stanley knife attack in Chatham

Three thugs who took part in a vicious knife attack have been jailed for a total of more than 38 years.

James Urquhart, his brother, Traynor and their stepfather Martin Quinn acted as a “team” in assaulting Gary Osbourne.

Weeks earlier, drunk James Urquhart, 27, went to the victim’s home in Chatham.

Brothers James, left, and Traynor Urquhart and stepfather Martin Quinn
Brothers James, left, and Traynor Urquhart and stepfather Martin Quinn

Mr Osbourne accused him of “taking the ---.”

Urquhart replied “I'll take the ----" and proceeded to urinate in the hallway.

As he was pushed out of the door he fell over with his trousers around his ankles, Maidstone Crown Court heard. Urquhart then shouted abuse.

Urquhart returned to the house in Kestrel Road with his 26-year-old brother, known as Jack, and Quinn, 51, in the early hours of January 1 last year.

They kicked open the door and attacked Mr Osbourne amid shouts of “Stamp on his head” and “Cut him”.

He was repeatedly punched and kicked before Traynor Urquhart slashed him on his neck with a Stanley knife.

Quinn took the knife and sliced his arm with it.

"I saw Jack leaning forward with the knife and trying to stab it in my neck..." - victim Gary Osbourne

Mr Osbourne shouted out that there were young children upstairs. James Urquhart replied: "We don't give a ----."

The victim was left with wounds to his head and neck and 11 cuts to his forearm, which was stitched and glued in hospital.

Traynor Urquhart’s DNA was on eye glasses found behind the sofa.

All three denied aggravated burglary and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, claiming they were not present at the time, but were convicted.

James Urquhart, of High Street, Chatham, was jailed for a total of 13 years and eight months.

Traynor Urquhart, of Marley Road, Harrietsham, was sentenced to 12 years and Quinn, of the same address, to 13 years.

Mr Osbourne told how he had been asleep on a sofa in the living room when he heard a loud bang on his front door at about 5.45am. The door then flew open.

He tried to push the men out but was overpowered and grabbed around his throat by James Urquhart.

He was dragged into the living room, where he fell on the floor.

"I was punched in the face,” said Mr Osbourne. “I was covering up my face with my arms. I saw Jack leaning forward with the knife and trying to stab it in my neck."

Quinn stamped on Mr Osbourne's head before the three fled.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More