Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Canterbury Crown Court rejects appeal by property tycoon Fergus Wilson over common assault conviction

Fighting Fergus Wilson has been KOed for the second time in a courtroom scrap...but is now demanding a re-match.

The former boxer LOST on points in the magistrates court who convicted him of assaulting estate agent Dan Wells.

Now he has lost again at Canterbury Crown Court after appealing against the common assault conviction and sentence.

Property tycoon Fergus Wilson and wife Judith own hundreds of properties across Maidstone and Ashford
Property tycoon Fergus Wilson and wife Judith own hundreds of properties across Maidstone and Ashford

But within minutes of his defeat, the 22-stone property tycoon offered to put up a £10,000 purse if 31 year old Mr Wells went one round in a bare knuckle fight.

The 65 year old, from Long Lane, Boughton Monchelsea was left furious after his rival told a court that Mr Wilson had “punches like a girl”.

He said: "I only have one arm but I am prepared to put up the cash if he goes one round with me.."

But the estate agent, who attended the appeal hearing, laughed off the new challenge, saying:

“I am younger and fitter. He wouldn't last the round. He should just give me the ten grand now and be done with it!”

Fergus Wilson will learn if he can stand on Thursday, April 21
Fergus Wilson will learn if he can stand on Thursday, April 21

A judge and two magistrates had listened to Mr Wilson conduct his own defence during the FOUR DAY hearing at Canterbury Crown Court.

Half way through the case, the former pugilist had tried to claim a “technical knock out” asking for the case to be thrown out – but the three “judges” rejected it and told him to fight on...

But it took less than 15 minutes at the end of the contest before Judge Nigel Van Der Bijl and the magistrates dismissed the appeal saying they believed the millionaire landlord had punched his victim.

The case was heard at Canterbury Crown Court
The case was heard at Canterbury Crown Court

Round oneRound twoRound three

Folkestone Magistrates' Court heard how Wilson stormed into the Folkestone office of agent PLS (Property Lettings and Sales) and shouted: "Right you little sh*t," at Mr Wells before walking to his
desk, hitting him in the temple and knocking him off his chair.

Half an hour before the attack at the Cheriton Place office on Saturday, January 19 last year, Mr Wells had spoken to Wilson on the phone to inform him one of his Ashford tenants had called to complain her boiler was not working.

Wilson, who suffers from diabetes, later admitted: “The long and short of it is I did call him a little sh*t.”

But he denied throwing the punch claiming Mr Wells had fallen off a swivel chair and into the front window display.

At the appeal hearing he asked the bench to throw out the “Unsubstantiated Allegation” because it was “without foundation and vexatious.”

During his final submission, Wilson quoted from the 1946 case involving “Lord Haw Haw”, William Joyce; Article Six of the Human Rights Act; and claimed he was “being fitted up for a crime I did not commit”.

Round fourRound fiveFinal round

He wanted to bring a boxer’s punch ball into the court room to prove how hard he can punch..he was told it wasn’t necessary. He said: “I am a very big man and I can hit very hard indeed. Yet Mr Wells has no injury”.

In his opening statement he had used former Manchester United manager David Moyes and ex-United legend Eric Cantona as examples – along with the Charles Saatchi and Nigel Lawson incident.

The judge said that they believed the evidence of eye-witness Katie Picking, who had sat opposite Mr Wells during the attack – but said the telling expression which convince them Wilson had thrown the punch was: “Right you little sh*t” which he had uttered after storming into the office to confront his victim.

The businessman, who has many properties in the Ashford area – had been fined £500 by magistrates, ordered him to pay £150 compensation and £1000 costs and victim surcharge.

The judge and panel decided not to alter the sentence but ordered him to pay another £750 appeal court costs within six months.

After the hearing Mr Wilson said: “I feel very unhappy with the verdict and will now consult my lawyers about what where I go with this.

“But I am not very happy with how this case has been handled by some in the police force. My wife and my relationship with PLS ended a while ago. We were not very happy with a number of things that had gone on.”

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More