Published: 16:00, 06 April 2021
| Updated: 16:30, 06 April 2021
Dog owners in Loose are urged to be vigilant after a dog was injured by meat allegedly spiked with poison and nails.
Kent Police was called at 4.15pm on Saturday after the dog ate the meat found in an alleyway while on a walk in McAlpine Crescent and became unwell.
The owner took the dog to a vet where it was treated for a mouth injury.
Officers attended and are now investigating.
A resident took to Facebook sharing the incident saying the substances were hidden inside the meat which had been rolled into balls and left near an orchard.
Cllr Susan Grigg, the ward councillor for Loose, described the incident 'despicable' and is urging dog walkers to be careful and to report further incidents to the parish council and police.
She said: "We are disgusted and upset because it's despicable.
"At a time when we are already very worried about dog thefts, which have increased dramatically, to now have something else to worry about is extremely concerning.
"When a dog sees food sometimes it's hard to grab them even if they are on a lead.
"I'm asking all residents to be extra vigilant when walking their dogs."
Anyone with information is asked to contact the police appeal line on 01622 604100, quoting reference 46/55020/21.