Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Maidstone's Magnus Okuonghae rues second-half display in FA Cup defeat to MK Dons

By Craig Tucker

Goalscorer Magnus Okuonghae felt Maidstone should have put up more of a fight in the second half at MK Dons.

Okuonghae’s tap-in gave United a half-time lead against the League 1 club but three goals in 16 minutes took the tie away from them and they conceded a late fourth.

Stones were outstanding in the first half as they set about reaching the third round for the first time since meeting Sheffield United in 1988 but they couldn’t keep it up.

Magnus Okuonghae wheels away in delight after putting Stones ahead at Stadium MK Picture: Ady Kerry
Magnus Okuonghae wheels away in delight after putting Stones ahead at Stadium MK Picture: Ady Kerry

Okuonghae said: “We came here with great respect for them and it ended up being a game of two halves really, the old cliche.

“First half we were brilliant, we were first to a lot of things and limited their chances and managed to nick a goal.

“We’re disappointed. We feel we had enough there to mount more of a fight in the second half and not let the scoreline get out of hand and that’s the deflating thing, that we let them score four goals.

“An outsider looking in will think they’ve dominated from start to finish and anybody that was here will know that’s not the case. Second 45 they stepped it up and we didn’t deal with it as well as we could have."

Okuonghae scored on a previous visit to Stadium MK, giving his old club Colchester a 1-0 lead in a League 1 match seven years ago.

He was at it again on Saturday, tapping home after Jai Reason’s volley was parried, a moment that sent 1,500 Stones fans wild.

Okuonghae said: “Because I know Jai I knew there’s a chance this might hit the target, so I thought, ‘do you know what, just have a gamble and follow in’ and it’s literally dropped straight to me.

“It gave us a platform, something to defend, something to hang on to but it becomes irrelevant now because of how we went about the last 25-30 minutes of the second half.”

Read the full interview in this week's Kent Messenger

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More