Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Aldershot Town 1 Maidstone United 1 match report

By Craig Tucker

An injury-time header denied Maidstone victory in the early kick-off at Aldershot.

United were heading for the points after Aaron Collins scored his first goal in the final match of his one-month loan from Wolves.

They had several chances to kill off the hosts but couldn’t add a second and paid the price when Jim Kellermann headed home a corner at the death.

Maidstone manager Jay Saunders Picture: Andy Jones
Maidstone manager Jay Saunders Picture: Andy Jones

Aldershot are one of the most attacking teams in the league and with United once again starting with four forwards, it had the makings of a good game.

Both teams got into some decent positions but, saying that, the first half was short on clear-cut chances.

There were a couple for Aldershot, Stuart Lewis with a good block from Bernard Mensah after the lively Kellermann squared early on while at the end of the half, Shamir Fenelon’s shot trickled wide after Lee Worgan got a hand to Mensah’s cross.

In between, Scott Rendell might have done better with a header from another Mensah cross, then Kellerman’s header from Bobby-Joe Taylor’s corner was cleared off the line by Lewis.

Maidstone’s clearest chance fell to Collins six minutes before the break.

The Welshman ran on to Joe Pigott’s flick and looked a good bet to score but hit keeper Lewis Ward’s legs.

Earlier, Collins slipped at the crucial moment from Zavon Hines’ clever pass and Pigott sent a header over after Joe Anderson centred.

Alexander flashed a shot past the far post after a swift break at the start of the second half.

But United took the lead in the 48th minute after Pigott clipped the ball over the top from out wide for Collins to run on to.

He won the race with advancing keeper Ward, knocked it past him on the edge of the box and found the empty net for a lovely goal.

With Aldershot pushing, Maidstone always looked a threat on the break, particularly when the outstanding Jai Reason won the ball and sent Pigott away only for George Fowler to snuff out the chance.

James Rowe hit the bar with a nice effort from the edge of the area for the hosts but soon after it took a good save from Ward to deny Stones substitute Tom Wraight after the ball dropped in the six-yard box from Hines’ corner.

Ward made another decent stop, this time with his legs, when Lewis set up Collins and it was Lewis who sent the rebound over as Maidstone threatened again.

Yet another chance fell the Stones’ way with Pigott’s cross deflected met by Collins, whose header was clawed away by Ward.

Maidstone went even closer to a second in added time when Pigott’s 20-yard free-kick hit the inside of the post.

But with 20 seconds of added time left, Kellermann headed home the equaliser from Taylor’s corner.

Maidstone: Worgan, Twumasi, Anderson, Wynter, Okuonghae, Collins (Hare 87mins), Lewis, Reason, Hines (Prestedge 82mins), Pigott, Loza (Wraight 64mins). Subs not used: McCorkell, ter Horst.

Attendance: 2,287 (271 away).

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More