Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Maidstone United 2 Concord Rangers 2 match report

Fit-again Sam Corne rescued a point for Maidstone against a Concord side playing with a defender in goal.

The Beachboys, who came from a goal down to lead 2-1, had keeper Myles Roberts sent off for a second yellow card after 65 minutes.

Maidstone United manager Hakan Hayrettin Picture: Steve Terrell
Maidstone United manager Hakan Hayrettin Picture: Steve Terrell

Defender Joe Payne took the gloves and was finally beaten seven minutes from time when Corne marked his first appearance of the season with a goal.

United also finished with 10 men after Taylor Curran picked up a second booking in the eighth minute of added time.

Concord made the early running, forcing three corners inside eight minutes, while Tom Hadler was off his line sharply when Lemar Reynolds found himself in on goal.

Maidstone, having been slow to get going, had a big chance to lead with Joan Luque firing the loose ball over after Dominic Odusanya’s shot was blocked after a lovely run and cross from Roarie Deacon.

The Stones had a series of shots blocked in the Concord box - Christie Pattisson, Luque and Roarie Deacon all denied more than once - before the opening goal on 24 minutes.

Jake Gallagher, probably lucky to be on the pitch after a studs-up challenge on James Blanchfield, played in a cross which Deacon helped on to Luque and the Stones winger cut inside and bent the ball into the far corner.

Luque hit the side-netting for a Stones side who looked in control before conceding the equaliser with the last kick of the half.

Referee Joel Mannix gave a foul against Regan Booty, for a push, and while the crowd didn’t like it, Rangers took full advantage.

Daniel Green curled the ball towards the top corner from 25 yards and Hadler - who appeared to have it covered - could only help it in.

Pattisson had a penalty shout waved away at the start of the second half - Mannix clearing Aron Pollock of pulling him back - further frustrating the Genco Stand.

Maidstone had decent possession, and were staying patient, but were caught on the counter as Concord went in front in the hour.

The Beachboys released Reynolds who shook off Curran, continued his run and finished low past Hadler.

The visitors were down to 10 men five minutes later when keeper Roberts - already booked for handling outside his area - had a rush of blood and took out Pattisson near the touchline.

With no keeper on the bench, defender Payne went in goal and breathed a sigh of relief when Regan Booty’s subsequent free-kick hit the bar.

Maidstone piled on the pressure in a bid to test the makeshift keeper, Pattisson firing inches wide with Payne beaten, and it wasn’t long before Alfie Pavey was thrown on.

Payne denied Luque with his legs, Pavey flashed an effort past the far post, then Payne - revelling in winding up the crowd - held Booty’s deflected shot.

The equaliser finally arrived in the 83rd minute with Corne - back from injury - burying the loose ball after Booty’s latest shot was blocked in the six-yard box.

Curran picked up his second yellow for a foul on halfway in the final seconds as it finished 10 v 10.

Maidstone: Hadler, Hoyte, Curran, Elokobi, Binnom-Williams, Gallagher (Corne 69mins), Booty, Odusanya (Pavey 72mins), Deacon, Luque, Pattisson (McGlashan 84mins). Subs not used: Phillips, Johnson.

Attendance: 2,023.

Referee: Joel Mannix.

Read more: The latest sports news in Kent

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More