Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Maidstone United 1 Slough Town 1 match report

Matt McClure scored a debut goal as Maidstone drew with Slough at the Gallagher Stadium.

McClure, who joined the Stones yesterday, wasted no time showing fans what he’s all about as John Still’s side came from a goal down.

His goal earned a point but they should have had three after dominating the second half.

Maidstone head of football John Still with head coach Hakan Hayrettin Picture: John Westhrop
Maidstone head of football John Still with head coach Hakan Hayrettin Picture: John Westhrop

Maidstone started poorly against a Slough side who arrived winless and with just a point to their name from four games.

The visitors made all the early running and had a couple of good openings to go in front.

Guy Hollis’ long throw was a useful weapon but United were caught out when he went short to George Wells whose cross was met by the head of Scott Davis, Jake Cole with a flying save to his left.

George Elokobi made a vital block when the ball dropped to Dan Roberts minutes later, while Ben Harris missed the target as Slough got at the Stones.

They went in front moments after Maidstone’s first shot on goal, breaking after Justin Amaluzor’s effort was comfortably saved by Jack Turner.

The ball reached Lee Togwell and his defence-splitting pass was picked up Matt Lench whose shot from the edge of the area looped over Jake Cole in the 20th minute.

Maidstone began to improve and had a big opening when Justin Amaluzor beat the offside trap from McClure’s pass but went for goal rather than squaring for Nana Kyei or Saidou Khan for a tap-in.

Amaluzor was back ahead of schedule from a hamstring injury but wasn’t obviously struggling when Maidstone replaced him with Dan Wishart after half an hour.

He certainly didn’t look too chuffed to be taken off but presumably wasn’t right.

Either way, the Stones equalised in the 37th minute after great work by McClure to chase down Elokobi’s long ball.

It should have been keeper Turner’s ball all day long but McClure kept going, got there ahead of him and finished superbly from a tight angle.

Corne went close as Maidstone threatened at the start of the second half.

United were the better side, without initially creating an awful lot, the linesman’s flag twice stopping substitute Ibby Akanbi in his tracks while McClure fired over from the edge of the box after a quick throw from Wishart.

Noah Chesmain’s 30-yard free-kick, after a foul on Corne, was well-saved by Turner while Akanbi was too honest for his own good when clipped by a Slough defender in the box, instead trying to get a shot off.

Maidstone were now well on top and went close again when Ryan Johnson’s effort was headed off the line following Corne’s corner.

Pressure continued with Iffy Allen also denied on the line and Clovis Kamdjo’s header, which may have been creeping wide, nodded clear.

Johnson saved Maidstone at the other end as Slough created a chance for Francis Amartey with time running out, with the hosts seeing a penalty shout turned down before Corne fired inches wide.

Maidstone: Cole, Hoyte, Johnson, Elokobi, Chesmain, Kamdjo, Khan (Akanbi 60mins), Corne, Kyei (Allen 63mins), McClure, Amaluzor (Wishart 31mins). Subs not used: Knight, Lewington.

Attendance: 1,815 (96 away).

Read more: The latest sports news in Kent

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More