Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Oxford City 1-4 Maidstone United match report

Matt McClure scored twice on his return to the starting XI as Maidstone enjoyed their biggest away win of the season at Oxford City.

Dan Wishart’s first-half opener was cancelled out just after the break but McClure’s double and a late Justin Amaluzor goal secured a 4-1 victory against a City side who played an hour with 10 men.

Maidstone United head coach Hakan Hayrettin...Picture: Sean Aidan
Maidstone United head coach Hakan Hayrettin...Picture: Sean Aidan

Maidstone tested Craig King in the opening minutes with the City keeper making saves from McClure and Amaluzor.

It was a sign of what was to follow with the visitors looking well in command in a dominant first-half performance.

They benefited from a mistake for their 11th minute with Wishart cutting out an unnecessary square pass, running through one-on-one and coolly slotting through King’s legs.

Wishart and Noah Chesmain were having a field day down the left as Maidstone continued to take the game to Oxford.

They had the ball in the net again on the half-hour mark with Wishart’s terrific run and cross finished first time by McClure but the linesman’s flag went up for offside.

Seconds later, in the 31st minute, the hosts were reduced to 10 men.

Ben Jefford, only just booked, was shown a second yellow card for a challenge on Amaluzor.

The Stones were playing some lovely football and went close again with a break started by debutant Zihni Temelci from inside his own half.

Khan took up the play and fed Wishart before taking the return pass and seeing his shot blocked, with McClure’s follow-up snuffed out.

A classy switch by Ross Marshall put Wishart away again, teeing up McClure whose low strike was saved by King.

Several multi-pass moves followed late in the half with Marshall denied by the City keeper in added time and McClure’s scissor-kick dropping wide.

Oxford’s 10 men levelled five minutes into the second half with a mix-up between George Elokobi and Ryan Johnson on the edge of the box punished by Zac McEachran.

But Maidstone were back in front in the 53rd minute with Khan going on a long run and feeding McClure who finished neatly.

Khan’s strike was touched wide after a quick break down the right by Amaluzor as Maidstone, having survived a couple of shaky moments in their box, threatened a third.

It arrived on the hour mark with Amaluzor’s cross met by an equally good header from McClure as United earned a two-goal cushion.

Maidstone added number four in the 81st minute with Amaluzor taking a crossfield ball, going outside his man and finishing across the keeper from a tight angle.

Maidstone: Cole, Hoyte, Johnson, Elokobi, Chesmain, Marshall, Temelci, Amaluzor, Khan, Wishart, McClure. Subs not used: Lewington, Kamdjo, Pennell, Kyei, Allen.

Attendance: 344.

Read more: The latest sports news in Kent

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More